(Closed) Best cars for 25,000 and under

posted 7 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2013 - Home

I am unable to buy a car right now, but I would love to get a Honda Insight. Great priced hybrid.

But for you, I would encourage the Suberu or an Audi, something with AWD.

Post # 4
1126 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I have a Jetta (it’s an older one) and I love it.  The thing is, if you just line up “features” next to each other, then there are certain companies that seem to offer more bang for your buck.  But it’s really important to test drive and get a feel for how the car really handles, because that has a huge impact on how much you enjoy owning it.  I’ve had my car for 8 years (bought it new), and I still LOVE driving it, because it accelerates well, corners well, is heavy enough to be good in the snow but small enough to get decent gas mileage (27 avg I think), and it feels like I’m driving a really kickass car.  Obviously everyone has their priorities, but I think having a car that is fun to drive is important, because you spend so much time in it.  Good luck finding something!

Post # 5
4804 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I love my Mazda 2; it was $18,000. 

Post # 6
641 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I drove a Ford Fusion for a while, and I LOVED it!!  It’s a mid-size sedan, and if you get the 4 cyl instead of 6, it gets pretty good gas mileage.  If you get one that’s a year old used, you can get it very well equipped for under 20k.  I think they even make an AWD model!  I have also heard good thing about the new Hyundai’s, although have no experience with them myself.

Post # 9
4150 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@carriejuly: I would recommend a mazda 3!!! Fiance had the 04 sedan and I have an 04 hatchback and we love them.  We’ve never had any major issues, she’s great in the snow, and pretty good on gas mileage.  Mine was $17,300 used for the top model, purchased in August of 07 (so 3-4 years old depending on when it was first purchased) came with 54,000km and brand new winter tires.  I would HIGHLY recommend it!! I wouldn’t think twice about buying one again.

Post # 10
649 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I love my Mazda 6! 

Post # 11
2522 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Get the subaru.  They are super safe, very reliable (drive FOREVER), and really economical in mpg.

Post # 12
4824 posts
Honey bee

@beekiss: I agree

I have a mazda 3 and a subaru forrester. The forrester is affordable and it is all wheel drive. Its much better than than the 3 in the snow.   I think, but I am not sure, are rated better for long term durability.  I also like the way it drives better. Its quiter inside than the 3 and I love the space.

Post # 13
5011 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

My Fiance is a Volkswagen obsessive and currently drives a Bora 1.8 TDi. Not sure which models are available in the States but he’s loyally driven VWs since three days after he got his license and owes his legs to their sturdy construction (he had a head-on collision and the sturdy build of his car saved his legs).

We generally only buy used cars as the depreciation of new cars is crazy. We’re planning to buy a car after the wedding and are mostly looking at three year old cars at half the price of new but with 5-8 years good driving in them.

Post # 14
3241 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I have a Toyota Corolla, great for gas milage, under $20k, but I’ll be honest~we haven’t seen a whole lot of snow. The few times I’ve taken the car out in the snow it’s been fine. My hubby has a Subaru (Outback Sport) and loves it.

Post # 15
4824 posts
Honey bee

@SpecialSundae: That used to be true, but not alqays so right now in the US due to the economy and deals car manufacturers/dealerships are offering. The cost of used cars have gone up due to demand and the cost of new ones down. That coupled with large rebates and great interest on financing that buying a 1 year old car can actually be more expensive than a new one and with the new one you get a better warantee.  Its crazy how some things change. At least it was true last year when we were car shopping.  

Post # 16
4824 posts
Honey bee

Oh I will add that our Forrester bought brand new 2010 for 18,500 

The topic ‘Best cars for 25,000 and under’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors