- 4 years ago
I was recently married and am very happy. There were hiccups at my wedding, but it was very minor (like seating) so it didn’t bother me at all, what bothered me was what my “best friend” did to me, I’m wondering if I’m thinking too much of it.
We had been best friends for about 15-16 years, and she was the first I turned to for my Maid of honor. About 4 months before the wedding, I asked her and she happily accepted. Around this time she began dating someone my now husband introduced to. One month before the wedding, my sister returned from her Navy services (I was not sure if she would have leave from military) and my best friend offered to step down for my sister to be Maid of Honor. She was EXTREMELY adament about stepping down, making excuses one after another, I hesistantly agreed, I thought I would be rude to rescind such a request. I asked if she would be a bridesmaid, and she again was very persistant to not be a bridesmaid or take any part due to supposedly acne trouble. To sum it up:
– We’ve been friends for 15 – 16 years
– She accepted then turned down being Maid of Honor
– She refused to be a bridesmaid due to “acne” problems
– She did NOT show up to my wedding ceremony
– She was about 30 minutes late to the reception, did not apologize.
– At the reception, she announced she was engaged. She had been dating this person for about 4 months (on a side note, this person is not very kind to my now husband after he introduced them, but that’s another story).
I even said to her, laughing to keep in spirits “hahah you shouldn’t drop such a bombshell on my wedding!” She had no response other than to keep smiling.
I don’t know what to think. My brother-in-law thinks she feels threatened and find me as a competition and did it on purpose to spite me, the fact I got married first.
I feel very unhappy with what she did, but I don’t want to come off as over-reacting, we’ve been friends for so long, but perhaps she could have been more considerate and wait until at least AFTER my wedding and not DURING? I looked up what other people have said and they said it was bad etiquette…
Please let me know your opinions and thoughts, I’m happy with my marriage but I can’t seem to get over what she did.