(Closed) Best Time of Day to Take OPK? & How Many?

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
4038 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

The instructions that came with my OPK recommended against using your morning pee, and waiting until the afternoon to test. Also, to hold it for 4 hours so the Lh has time to build up. I bought a big pack of cheap tests from Amazon (seriously like 40 test strips, so I test like 2x a day starting a week after the first day of my period. Also, because I’m weird and like to POAS. 

Post # 4
1221 posts
Bumble bee

I have heard not to use you first morning pee but at the same time i also heard to use it…. I bought a 50pk also from amazon & i test once in the morning and once after i get home in the afternoon (5pm-6pm)

This is my first time using the OPK’s

Post # 5
751 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I always used my first morning pee because I drink so much during the day my pee gets too diluted for the tests to be accurate.  Some tests say first morning, some say later in the day but really the surge lasts long enough that either should be fine. 

I say use it whatever time of day you can be consistent and get clear results. 

(btw–totally worked for me, I’m 12 weeks pregnant). 

Post # 6
3866 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I started last month and I took it after I got home.  Usually between 6:30 and 9, though I tried to keep it at the same time, so it was usually around 8.

It worked, too.  Not pregnant, but I DID get a smiley face on mine last month and have enough for another month or two.  

I went with the digital-type since I didn’t want to take chances and it was a good price on Amazon for it.  Hopefully this month or next will be successful, so I don’t have to buy any more!

Post # 7
2161 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I have already read that 2pm is the best time. 

Post # 8
165 posts
Blushing bee

I’m not much help with the “when” (the instructions on the box of the ones I used said it didn’t matter what time as long as it was the same time each day.  Many online articles say afternoon is best after holding it for four hours…maybe ask your OB?), but I would suggest doing more than one a day around the time you expect to be ovulating.   I would’ve missed my surge had I only done this once a day.  I only used OPK’s for one cycle and was successful.

Post # 9
3866 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@ShellyT: true, it DOES say to test more than once, but then, I also ovulated during the days an online calculator said I would.  

The problem with testing more than once a day is I work full-time at a place that would be a bit… obvious… to do this at.  I’m a rather private person and there are some who are anything BUT private.  If you take my meaning 😉

Honestly, read the directions, read reviews, and pick what you think would work best for you.  Also, you might want to try charting your bbt and cervical mucas.  I’ve read that doing that is also very helpful.

And unlike ShellyT, not everyone gets lucky the first time.  I have two kids (8 & 4) who were concieved the first time around, then I had a miscarriage back in June-August and we’re still trying.  

Each person is different and each time is different.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Post # 11
4038 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

@missbbc: This I used the Wandfo ovulation test kits from amazon.com. It was 40 ovulation test strips + 10 pregnancy test strips for around $10. I was wary of them, because they were so cheap, but it gave me a loud and clear positive, and was backed up by my bbt and cm charting (on fertilityfriend.com). Last month I used the Clearblue digital tests (20 test for around $20), and still have some left over, so once I got a positive reading on the Wandfo I tested on one of those strips to confirm and got a big smiley face. Also, again, I like to POAS. 

Post # 12
624 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Ive taken them before and they always seem to mention the first morning pee.

Post # 13
1221 posts
Bumble bee

@ladyox: how long were you using OPK’s?

@Mrs Sarah McK: are the wandfo in green packages? i think that is what i got.

@Zinzerena: im having the same problem, i try to test once in the morning & once after work.  sucks it isn’t the same time for me because certian days i go to the gym or take the dogs on a walk… but this is my first month

I also bought pre-seed to see if that helps any… i heard alot of good reviews on websites but haven’t heard too many ppl on here talk about it.

Post # 14
751 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

@MrsJVP:  I started using them and got pregnant the second month on them.  Then I miscarried and it took a few months for my body to go back to normal.  Once it did, it was another month (maybe two) before I got pregnant again.  I used OPKs the entire time, just to keep track of my schedule.  I couldn’t get into charting, so I peed on sticks instead.   

Post # 15
1221 posts
Bumble bee

@ladyox: oh okay i just finally gave in and bought some… I would track on my phone with a calculator thingy but it would give me about 5 days… seems like it was pretty much right for the most part. Just our BD timing was off LOL we were on top of it this month though.. im O’ing today so lets hope its my month 🙂

The topic ‘Best Time of Day to Take OPK? & How Many?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors