(Closed) best value for dresses? under $1000

posted 9 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
14183 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Casablanca, Maggie Sottero, Jasmine, Alfred Angelo, Moonlight, Symphony…the list goes on

The problem is you’re trying on really really expensive coutoure vendors. Stay away before you get tempted to spend the money. Just because you’re spending under $1,000 doesn’t mean it’s a super cheapy dress, either.

Post # 4
410 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I am pretty picky also.  I knew exactly what I wanted: sweetheart neckline, corset back, poofy skirt with ruffels in it, and a small train….. And i got it all for $500.  My alterations are 110(bustle and hem) so my dress is $610 total. And i got it from….Davids bridal! I was really happy that I was able to find something there that I liked since I am very particular.  I reccommend at least going and trying stuff on since they do have really good deals and a very wide variety of styles.  Worst that happens is you dont fall in love with anything. 

But since you are on a budget, I highly reccomend looking around a lot and keeping an open mind.  I thought I would be going to the local bridal shop to get my dress, and when I found the one at DB I was really happy I looked at least.  i could have been out a lot more money for something similar at the other shop.

Post # 5
445 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Are you against buying a used dress? 

I know what you mean about the couture lines.  I couldn’t stomach the prices, so I looked at what it was about those dresses that made them so luxurious.  I decided I wanted a silk dress.  I found one.  Done.  I did NOT try on any dress that was over my budget. 

Post # 6
1356 posts
Bumble bee

Mine is a Casablanca and was only $724! Love it. A lot of bang for my buck.

Post # 7
126 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

If you’re a little bit of a fabric snob (and that’s the reason why you didn’t like David’s), try J Crew’s wedding collection, Watters (their WToo bridal line is priced reasonably), and also Jenny Yoo has a "wedding alternative" section with beautiful gowns.  Also Nicole Miller has really sleek gowns that come in white and off white.

If you have your heart set on a poofy traditional gown though, this will be harder to do.

Post # 8
2476 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

OMG @iheartjohn– my sentiments exactly!!  I’ve also tried on many of the same couture lines that you have, and they just feel so different (in a good way).  I’m so torn between spending $$ on a used/sample couture gown and spending the same amount on one that’s not couture.  I’ve scoped out preownedweddingdresses and oncewed online, and I am so tempted all the time!  My friends call me a dress snob, LOL!!!  Maybe I should just steer away from the couture ones so I don’t risk falling in love with something that costs and arm and leg!!  😀

Post # 9
984 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I got my dress from David’s and I love it! My mom was against me getting a dress from there until she saw "the one" on me and she was hooked. I think it gets a bad rep, but they have some beautiful affordable dresses. Other options include those echoed by other posters: Maggie Sorrero, Alfred Angelo, Bonnie Bridal, Jasmine, Casablanca, Shophia Tolli, Mori Lee, Jasmine Bridal…the list does go on and on. I hope you find what you are looking for. I agree, stay away from the higher end dresses if you don’t want to blow your budget, you might be tempted to break the bank.

Post # 10
1220 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

Jenny Yoo and Nicole Miller, as noted above, are great options.  Jenny Yoo’s silk duponi is a very good material that feels rich.  Her "destination" line is very afforadable.

Post # 11
523 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

Why exactly can’t you shop the sample sales?  I’m also small (size 0-2), and I bought a bridal size 8 at a sample sale for $1000.  It only really needs to be taken in by 3-4 inches, which is doable.  With few exceptions no matter what you buy is going to need alterations anyway, and what’s the big difference between taking something in an inch and taking it in 3 inches?  Some styles are more amenable to this than others, i.e. don’t go for a multi-layered gown or something super structured.  But a willingness to alter got me a beautiful $4000 designer dress well within my budget, and that I can recoup most of money afterwards by selling.

Post # 12
960 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I got my Allure dress for about $650 and I adore it! I’m small too, so I get why you can’t get a sample. Plus, I’ve tried on so many samples that are just FILTHY and I’d much rather have my dress made just for me. You can definitely find a great dress for under $1000, it just might take some research and legwork. Good luck!

Post # 13
66 posts
Worker bee

Also, try going to a Making Memories wedding dress charity event, makingmemories.org.  I think there is an up-coming event in Arlington, VA if you don’t mind making a trip down there.  Anyway, I got my dress at this event.  All the dresses are under $1000, and you can find some designer dresses donated by bridal salons or brides.  I remember seeing Melissa Sweet, Christos, and other designer dresses there from sizes 2 – 24, or something like that – and they were clean.  My dress was made of a 100% silk, which cost $499 (originally $1600 according to the tag), so if you can, try checking it out!

Post # 14
208 posts
Helper bee

Mine was a Christina Wu and it was just under $1000.

Post # 15
473 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

There are tons out there! Mine is made by Eden Bridals – such an unknown name – but I love it! 

I’d suggest going to theknot.com or bride.com and looking at the wedding dress galleries. You can select by price range…. just start looking at ones you like – you’re bound to find lots under $1,000.

Post # 16
997 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010 - The Pierre Hotel

I would suggest checking out the sample sales – there are often a whole range of different dresses of very good quality, many for under $1000.  As you’re in NYC, you have several options.  Unfortunately the Saks sale just ended yesterday, but I’d also suggest Bridal Garden.  Good luck!

The topic ‘best value for dresses? under $1000’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors