- 4 years ago
- Wedding: November 2013
Hi Bees! I haven’t been on much in the past few months but slowly getting back here and need some major guidance!!
My husband and I recently purchased a condo in a city that is about 20 minutes north of us, which means a bit of a longer commute. Anyway, the price was great and the condo is BEAUTIFUL. I originally wanted to buy a house so we went to the grand opening of one of the builders and by the time it was our turn, the houses we were looking at were sold out. We noticed couples going to the model home of the condo (they did not have one for the detached houses) and we decided to take a look even though I really didn’t see myself in a condo.
Well, as soon as we walked through the door we fell in love. It was spacious and my husband really likes everything to be on the same level so HE suggested we buy it as it’s a great time to invest and get into the market. We signed right then and there and I was ecstatic! It is a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom condo with 1,500 square feet and our current move-in date is April 2017.
Here is where it gets complicated…
I went to the builder last night in order to give our pre-approval and found out that they have listed the model home for 10k more than what we bought our unit for (we added an extra parking space which added to the cost) and I would LOVE to buy it. However, my husband MAJORLY disagrees with it.
He says it is because it will make his commute longer NOW vs. 2 years from now. I don’t see the big deal at all seeing as he has to do it eventually anyway and he agreed to it in the first place! He also pointed out that the whole point of us buying a unit that is not built yet is so we can save money in the upcoming 2 years, which I understand and it is one of the reasons I’m seeing this as a “con” but I see it as an amazing opportunity. Here is the pros and cons list…
– We currently live with my in-laws and we absolutely cannot stand the apartment. We have no counter space, if you put clothing on the floor in the bedroom it will smell like mold, we have already had a flood and constantly have to make sure the pipes are not clogged, we have NO sunlight, and I have no clue if I can stay sane here for another 2 years. The model condo is a quick sale and we would be moving in there 1-4 months from now.
– It comes with A LOT of upgrades. Granite countertops, dark wood upgraded cabinets, hardwood floors everywhere but the 2 bedrooms (the other one is furnished as an office and has hardwood), one of the tubs has already been changed to a beautiful shower, crown molding, etc.
– We can see the unit we are moving into and will not have to worry too much about imperfections.
– It comes FULLY FURNISHED! This is the big reason I want to move in there now. I LOVE how they have decorated the model and we would get every single thing in it. That’s 2 beds, arm chairs, office, dining room table with 6 chairs, couch, bar, all of the decorations, appliances, washer and dryer, etc. and I feel that we would save a TON of money overall. I constantly go to the model and take photos so I can later re-create the look and this is perfect.
– Did I mention it’s move-in ready?? We would not have to move a thing other than our current TV and a couch. Other than that, pack up our clothes and start living!
– It would be rushed as the move-in date is so close and we won’t have as many savings as we would like whereas right now we don’t pay for anything while living in this apartment.
– The kitchen does not offer a pots and pans drawer, which is something very important for us to have and I was going to add that into the new unit.
– The kitchen also doesn’t have a designated spot for a microwave so we would have to either have it on the counter or change the cabinets a bit to fit one in.
– The tub is not where we want it to be. One of the bathrooms is in the bedroom and the other is in the hallway leading to the kitchen/living room. We wanted to add a shower into the bathroom that is in the bedroom and leave the tub in the main bathroom as we probably will never use it and I don’t want to clean it. 😉
– It’s a low-rise condo and the unit we bought is on the 4th floor whereas this one is 3rd so we run the potential of having noisy neighbours above us.
– There is no chance of buying an extra parking space but we can rent one from the condo corporation which over 10 years will cost us less than half of what we paid to have an extra parking space for our current unit. This is somewhat of a PRO and CON at the same time.
– We are having our wedding in September 2016 so we need some savings for that as well. Although we have already paid off a huge chunk and our families are paying for their guests (friends and family), which does not leave us with too big of a payment.
My husband and I got into a huge argument about this because he doesn’t like change and likes to stick to a plan. He also feels that he needs time, for one reason or another. Meanwhile, my friends who own houses have said that I would be crazy not to take this deal when it comes fully furnished and upgraded and there is no way we would be able to do all of that for less than 20k. Meanwhile, my husband is of the mindset that we do not need everything to be upgraded. But I also know that a lot of what this new unit has my husband wanted to DIY but I am not too sure he would even have the time to do all of that!
I think I am struggling because my husband had the mindset of buying the condo and waiting for a couple of years for it to be built, which would then increase the value and we could sell it after a year or so of living there to buy something closer to the city so that his commute is shorter. Meanwhile, I am looking at it as a home to REALLY start our lives in. He also says that the extra 10k will add onto our mortgage and he does not want to have a payment larger than what we have now but it is still 50k below our price range, so it really frustrates me!
Bees, what would you do?
- This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by tattiibee.