Big life decision that effects TTC

posted 2 years ago in TTC
Post # 16
2555 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013


cancer, dying of the flu and tsunamis are “natural”. Your seizures are “natural”. Poop is natural. Being natural doesn’t mean it’s desirable. We are lucky we get to improve on our health and the natural state of things.

I would 100% stay on my meds for quality of life. The risk is still very low, especially compared to the risk without meds.

Either way, best of luck in your journey!


Post # 17
7914 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

mrsnitti17 :  It seems like the risk to the baby is slight, but that the benefits of staying on the medication are substantial. What are the risks if you are to have a seizure while pregnant? Is that worse for the baby than the medication? (honest questions – I have no idea). Also how will you feel if you take a long time to conceive? Will you be frustrated that you’ve given up the benefits of your medication if it takes a year to get pregnant? As another poster said “natural” isn’t always better – that’s why we have medicine!

Post # 18
1218 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Honestly, I’m surprised your neurologist would consider taking you off seizure medicine while TTC.  My understanding is that pregnancy lowers the seizure threshold.  I actually had a friend who regularly had brief absence-type seizures that she never realized were absence seizures.  She got pregnant and had her first generalized tonic-clonic seizure somewhere in her first trimester.  I’m assuming the biggest risks from your current seizure medication are cleft lip and cleft palate, which are fairly benign (IMO) as birth defects go.  If I were in your shoes, I’d probably opt to stay on my seizure medication.  

Post # 19
1104 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

I’m not a doctor but I’d take the 3.5% defect chance over the risk of having a seizure while pregnant. What if you have a seizure while you’re heavily pregnant and fall? I imagine that would harm the baby and yourself very much

Post # 20
1828 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

I would stay on the meds.  In my opinion, the possible risks of having a seizure while pregnant would be scarier than the risks associated with the meds.  Plus, then you get to continue your normal life with driving and TTC.

  Also, random sidenote, I almost had to put my dog to sleep due to worsening cluster seizures, but Keppra saved her.  She has been seizure free for almost 2 years now since the day she started taking it. (So maybe I am biased in favor of Keppra, it was a miracle drug for my pup…)

Post # 23
409 posts
Helper bee

I don’t have epilepsy, but I do have a neurological condition managed by medication that is not safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding. I weaned off meds to TTC, and then it took us 2.5 years to conceive. If I’d had the option of staying on the medication, I would absolutely have done so.

I hope everything goes well for you and you conceive quickly when you start trying, but you should talk with your doctor about long-term plans as well, not just prepping to TTC. By the time I can resume medication I will have been off it for nearly 4 years if I do not nurse the baby, even longer if I do.

It’s a very personal decision but it sounds like you have good support. Good luck!

Post # 24
7778 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

My daughter has epilepsy. She is only a teen now, but I hope if she ever decides to TTC, that she stays on her medication. Ofcourse, the medication  (I know you are on Keppra), the type of epilepsy, the likelihood of reoccurrence of seizures are all factors. I think the risk is low enough that the benefits of staying on the meds outweigh the risk.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors