- 6 years ago
- Wedding: July 2011
While searching Etsy I ran across the cutest little birds… They were so cute & so perfect for a cake topper! I decided to search bird cake toppers… I found them but was disappointed to see I would need to spend over $100, maybe it’s the ‘budget-er’ in me or the crafter, I just couldn’t see paying that for a cake topper.
So I set out to make my own. I had my inspiration and knew what I wanted. i must say, this was the most difficult DIY project for me. I had only worked with clay once in H.S. art class, and let me say this is not the same.
I youtubed alot of videos to get an idea of how to work with the clay. I bought the clay at Michaels in small blocks in my desired colors. Then got to work….
One Birdie at a time. I made my Groom a little larger than my Bride and made a few small differences in their wing markings using a toothpick. I also had to make sure when sitting next to each other that their heads were angled correctly (I wanted my bride to resemble a ‘blushing bride’ being admired by her adoring Groom LOL I know, cheesy…..)
I added the orange beaks, pressed slightly into head so it didnt fall out while baking.
I knew I wanted the birds to be personalized to each of us. Being that my Darling Husband is a Sailor I got out his Cover, aka Hat and mimicked it with the white clay and placed on Groom Birdies head. I then made a small white flower for Bride Birdies veil. I simply made a small ball out of white clay and used a toothpick to imprint a ‘swirl’ pattern that mimicked a rose.
I followed the package directions on clay for baking times. I placed Birds, Groom with beak & hat on him & Bride with beak on her on baking sheet; the flower was placed on baking sheet but not bird.
cooked to package time & temp.
cooled. I then Drew on the eyes. I used a fine tipped Sharpie. This is not an easy task. Be ready to re-do eyes several times… So use a pencil first until you get them placed exactly THEN use your Sharpie to trace your pencil marks.
Then I cut a small veil out of white tulle/netting (I went with netting bc I liked the spacing of the holes better that regular tulle) I doubled and stitched my tulle netting. I used my glue gun to adhere the veil & rose. This also took a few trys; too much glue won’t stick, too little won’t stick either. Trial and error. Even a dab of rubbing alcohol rubbed where the veil was glued helped.
and Viola’ Birdie Cake Toppers!