- 6 years ago
- Wedding: October 2011
So H and I are starting to think of TTW (not really TTC) in a month or two, but the biggest thing holding us back is that his company is for sale and he is convinced that they will be sold this summer or early fall, and a likely scenario is that a competitor will buy them to close them. Expense of childbirth is his biggest reason for wanting to delay until/when/if he loses his job, gets another, knows what’s going to happen, etc, but I feel like we’ve been waiting long enough, and I’m going to be 29 this summer, and definitely want more than 2 kids! 🙁
So I need to figure out insurance options to help convince him it wouldn’t be the end of the world…
-While its seems people suggest COBRA, my understanding of it is if his company actually closes, that won’t be an option, right?
-I don’t think we would qualify for something like Medicaid, b/c between H and I, we also work several different part-time jobs (that don’t have insurance options,) and I think the total income from them would put us too high above the poverty line.
-Starting in 2014 you can’t be denied insurance (from a private company?) for being pregnant, right? So is a possibility to just not have insurance when/if he loses his job, but we would be able to get it in January, soon before the birth, AND it will have to cover the “preexisting condition” of pregnancy? (Will that be crazy expensive? How would anyone have an idea of how much insurance like that is “going” to be, since the health law hasn’t taken effect yet?)
-I mean, a simple hospital birth is what, less than 10K? That wouldn’t kill us, and I’ve heard you can often negotiate with the hospital or doctor if you can pay in cash, but what if it turned into a more complicated birth that was 40K? That would wipe out our savings, and is a huge deterrent for H to getting pregnant now.
-Has anyone done this? What are realistic uninsured birth costs? And are there insurance options I’m missing?
Sorry this is so long! Thank you SO MUCH for any help/advice!