(Closed) Black bra & an ivory wedding dress?!

posted 8 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Can I wear a black bra with my ivory wedding dress?
    Yeh, why not? It'll be covered anyway. : (21 votes)
    45 %
    No. It's your wedding day, it'll be covered, but you'll know! : (26 votes)
    55 %
  • Post # 3
    1080 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2010

eh if it doesnt show through I dont see why you cant wear one you already have!

Post # 4
    214 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2010

The only thing I am worried about is if you can see it through the fabric. If you can’t and I would try taking pictures and see if the flash effects it. Go for it.

Post # 5
    1426 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 1969

I think it would depend on your skin tone as well… if your fair skinned then I would worry.  It might not show in the store, but then it might start to show when you’re out in the sunlight…

Post # 6
    Hostess
    18643 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

I would be careful.  A lot of wedding gowns are made from pretty thin material and you don’t want your black bra showing up with a flash of the camera!

Post # 7
    2054 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2011

if it doesnt show through the dress then its not a big deal!! But if you could get a flesh colored bra i think that would def solve the issue of if it shows or not…

Post # 8
    1135 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

I wouldn’t want the black strap to slip off my shoulder!

But I am also a HUGE advocate of the long line bra. Even if your dress is an empire waist, it will give your body a great shape. And if you get a corset, your Fiance will love you for it. Mine loves my corset. Definately a lot more interesting than a regular ol’ bra!

Post # 9
    6572 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: February 2010

def. check the sunlight. my friend’s dress had a weird seam line going down the middle that she had to buy all sorts of special undergarments to cover up. you wouldn’t want everyone seeing your black bra while you’re saying your i do’s. (unless it’s at night)

Post # 10
    1570 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 1996

I wouldn’t do it. I’ve seen lots of friends have their bras appear in the most unsuspected of circumstances in photos at formal occasions, especially ones that involve dancing. Even a little peek will be crazy visible with a black bra and an ivory dress. And yes, the professional photographs can make things visible which were once invisible! Maybe there is an inexpensive white or nude bra or corset you could find.

Post # 11
    665 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

My friend got a black corset for under her wedding gown. Each time she kneeled…  during their first dance… so on and so forth… the black corset played peek-a-boo! Just keep that in mind… Want granny to see your undergarments?

Plus, flash photography can sometimes show off things a normal eye wouldn’t. I once wore a black dress and my undies had sliver stars on them. The stars sparkled through my dress in photos… lol… so hilarious!

Post # 12
    838 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

if you dont want to buy one maybe ask a family member or friend to borrow one? I mean its kinda weird but wearing a colored bra under would be a little too tacky for me.

Post # 13
    2889 posts
    Sugar bee

I would be afraid to see the black bra peeking out in photos. I once wore a red strapless bra under a black dress and when I saw so photos from the day, my bra poked out the side in some of them because the dress had shifted, something I would have never noticed had the color matched. If you’re buying a new dress, you may as well buy a new bra. Try H&M for a cheap one time use deal!

Post # 14
    809 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

Bright lighting like sunlight and a flash will give you away….. 

I am sorry but I personally would say NOWAY … Spring for a nude colored bra… even  white ones can be seen under some material .. You dont have to go for the most expensive… Try Target… or TJ MAXX or ROSS they have nice things for less

Post # 15
    1465 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

Unless the material is sheer, which most wedding dresses are not made from, especially if they are satin or similar materials, no one will able to see what you are wearing underneath. If you want the black bra then wear it. Make sure to try it on first with your dress.

Post # 16
    14186 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

who cares as long as you can’t see it?! Just make SURE you can’t see it!!!!

Nude bras are usually best under light/thin material though. In sunlight your bra may be visible otherwise. White on white is usually not the best

The topic ‘Black bra & an ivory wedding dress?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors