(Closed) Black Friday Wedding 2016?

posted 5 years ago in Reception
  • poll: Should we change the date to November 25, 2016 (Black Friday)?

Yes

No

Find another date

Find another venue

• Post # 2
    441 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2016

I was about to say go for it until you got to the part about your fiancé wanting to go shopping.

If your guests are ok with it, then I don’t see a problem, but I also don’t think it’s realistic for people in the wedding (so the bride, groom, parents of the bride and groom and wedding party) to think they can spend the morning shopping. For me, Black Friday shopping is exhausting…there are just so many people, lines are long, emotions run high etc.etc., that I just don’t know if it’s realistic to do it in the morning of the wedding. I would just go over the timing of the day (for instance, if you start the ceremony late, will you do the pictures earlier? Do you have to oversee any set-up in the venue? When will it end? etc. etc.) before making a decision.

If your fiance really wants to go shopping, I think it would be better to pick one of the other weekends. If it’s something a lot of people from Sweden would want to experience – and they are planning on going for the bachelor/bachelorette parties anyway – it may be better to organize it so they can definitely take part.

Post # 4
    79 posts
    Worker bee

Would you be open to the possibility of changing the venue then? I’m sure the Bees here could have some wonderful ideas to help you look for something. With all the logistics of traveling and events taking places, perhaps it would be easier if you changed the venue.

Post # 5
    87 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: November 2015

That is a frustrating situation to say the least! Had you put a deposit down on the venue? Seems like they shouldn’t just pry the date from you! But such is life, I suppose, and no way to get Nov 11th back!

My first inclination was to say do what you want; it’s ok to ask people to make some sacrifices for your big day :). But then you mentioned all that stuff about your Fiance loving shopping and wanting to experience Black Friday, which changed my mind. Honestly the day is going to be exhausting enough without Black Friday shopping, and if he really wants to experience that, he’s just going to be completely done for that day. Even if he went shopping Thursday night – it’s still a tiring experience and I think it’s more important to have him as alert as possible for the wedding than try to fit everything in and risk being exhausted. Similarly I think you want to have some open time just in case you have last minute things that need to get done!

That being said – there are a few options. One would be looking into another venue. But if you have your heart set on the venue, I’d say go with the early Nov date and try to extend your vacation if possible. I had my bachelorette party around Halloween and it was a blast, because there are so many fun things to do that time of year! Is there a way you can extend vacation to 6 weeks considering you only get married once?

Last option would be doing the weekend before Thanksgiving and cutting the cruise a little short, or doing your honeymoon the year after. 

Hope something works out for you!

Post # 7
    511 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2017

Okay, so you had already reserved that date, paid a deposit and signed the paperwork, and the venue just cancelled your WEDDING?!

Oh, HELL to the no. Girl, I would find a new venue. If they are willing to cancel your wedding JUST because another, better deal came along they obviously can’t be trusted. If they are being this difficult and shady now, do you really want to deal with that for the next year while you plan your wedding?? You got there first. I don’t care WHO wants that date, it’s yours and they can’t have it. And any business that would go back on LEGAL documents is not any business I would want to be involved with.

Post # 9
    1887 posts
    Buzzing bee

I think you should go with a different date and figure out something else for your bachelor & bachelorette parties, maybe have them a few months in advance. It just sounds like there is too much going on that weekend, and you should be focusing on your wedding when you get married, not Thanksgiving and Black Friday shopping. It would be exhausting for me to deal with last minute wedding stuff and a big family holiday at the same time. But, you know, do what you want to do!

Post # 10
    511 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2017

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. I still think that is concerning but not quite as bad as I first imagined.

Have you considered looking outside of those counties? I’m from California and it’s pretty normal to have a venue 2-3 hours from where you live. I just did a quick search and found Wild Acres Villa by the Ocala National Forest, looks pretty and rustic! They do outside catering. http://www.wildacresvilla.com. This one has outside catering and you can bring your own alcohol: http://harmonygardens.org/wedding-faq.html 

Again, not sure if that is doable for you, but if you want a rustic feel and more options you might want to look into some other counties. The date sounds really important to you!

Post # 11
    2730 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

I don’t know why you can’t have your bachelor and bachelorette parties any other weekend besides the week before? That’s an easy move IMO. I also don’t really understand what your birthday does for all of this?

If your Fiance wants to do black friday shopping, do not have your wedding the same day. That will be a disaster.

It sounds like you have a lot of “must haves” and stipulations for this wedding to be “perfect”. I’m not trying to be rude but I think it’s time to get a little realistic here. You’re going to have to start bending a little on some things. Whether it’s the date(s) (i.e. bachelor/bachelorette parties, the cruise can also be taken at a different time) or all the little elements of your venue to find a different one.

Do they have any dates in October?

Post # 13
    1569 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2017

View original reply
    ll3ride2ll3e:  I’m voting for the first weekend in November! Halloween Bach parties sound awesome! Also, could your finace send my fiance some of his shoppping enthusiasm? I swear, if it’s not for cars or electronics he’s a gian baby about it!

The topic ‘Black Friday Wedding 2016?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors