(Closed) BM who is “trying” to get pregnant

posted 11 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 3
1119 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Wow, that is a problem…would it make sense to order a larger size, and have it taken in if it needs to be? I’m not familiar with altering mermaid gowns, so not sure if that is a good suggestion or not.

Post # 4
1580 posts
Bumble bee

can you hold off on ordering the dresses for a couple of months?

Post # 5
2206 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I think the safest thing, honestly, is to order a maternity gown, not the regular dress. If she is pregnant, I just can’t picture a mermaid gown looking good on anyone who is over 4 months pregnant.

If she doesn’t get pregnant, it will be much easier to take in a maternity gown than to alter the mermaid. Just ordering her a size or two up in the mermaid will NOT work, because the whole gown will have to be deconstructed and put back together.

Post # 6
403 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Since the wedding isn’t until October I would hold of a bit to order her dress.  If she’s not pregnant in a few months then she can still order the smaller dress and it will more than likely fit at the wedding even if she did conceive sometime between the ordering and the wedding.  And if she is pregnant in a few months, she’ll have a better idea about how large she might be.

Post # 7
1046 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

You could:

-Wait a little longer to order dresses if possible

-Order a larger size, schedule her a fitting in advance, and have it taken in if needed

-Try to go for a dress style that will hide the bump a bit better (A-line?). If she DOES become pregnant, is the mermaid style really going to be very flattering, even if it is the current size?

-Order two dresses: her current size and a larger one. She may not like this option, but you do need to make sure that she has a dress that fits. Hopefully she could sell the dress that she doesn’t use.

That’s all I can think of! Good luck!

Post # 8
3761 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

We kinda had the opposite problem.  My matron of honor just had a baby and wasn’t sure how much weight she would be able to loose and since she was planning on breast feeding, wasn’t sure where her chest sizes would be standing around the time of the wedding.

We decided to postpone ordering her dress.  Now that she has had the baby for about a month, she is going to try dresses on again and see where she stands. 

If your wedding is in October, you should order the dress probably at least 6 weeks prior, if not 8 weeks or more prior.  Have all of the other BM’s order theirs.  At the last minute order hers.

I would think she would be able to be up to 4 months pregnant before really starting to show and/or need a different dress.  Decide to re-evaluate the situation around the end of May and go from there.

Post # 9
89 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

I was on the Bridesmaid or Best Man side of this predicament.  It is definitely a bad idea to buy the size 4.  You can’t make alterations work if you need to go that much bigger.  What you can do is take it in if she isn’t pregnant, or is only a few months.  I was freaking out because I was going to be 5 months pregnant and it turned out I was barely showing by then.

Wait it out as long as you possibly can, then order a bigger size.  That’s my advice 🙂

Good luck!

Post # 10
445 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I was in this same predicament.  It was my sister though.  She asked me if it was ok if she was pregnant.  We got Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses that had a maternity option.  So all the dresses looked the same.  They were empire waist too, so it was more forgiving.  We ordered in June for my October wedding.  She waited until just a few weeks before the wedding to get her alterations done.  (She was 8 months pregnant at the wedding.)  She ordered a dress two sizes bigger than her regular size, in the maternity option.

The best part of all this…….my other sister ended up getting pregnant too and was 4 months along at the wedding.  Thank goodness we’d chosen the empire waist dress so my other sister would be comfortable but still look like the other BMs….my newly pregnant sister was ok in her non-maternity dress.  (Barely.) 

Post # 11
2889 posts
Sugar bee

I think you really need to wait or consider another style. If she is 7 months along, I don’t think any reasonable size of a mermaid style dress will be able to accomodate. If you can wait 4 months than the most she could be would be 3 or 4 months along, at which point, I would advise her to get a size 6 and take it from there.

Post # 12
251 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I am also in this situation and my wedding is in October. I chose 7 different styles of dresses in the same fabric before I knew one of my BM’s was going to start trying. One of the styles happened to have an empire waist so she is just going to order it in a much larger size than she normally wears and get it altered. We have to order by April to make sure they are in by August so they have time for alterations. I hope you figure out a solution that works for you and your Bridesmaid or Best Man.

Post # 14
6659 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

Hmm.. that is a tough one. I would check the store for their order policies, some will allow you to rush order a different size at the last minute for an additional fee. That way, she can order the size 4 now and if she is pregnant then like a month prior she can get a bigger size or the maternity dress. If they don’t have this rush order policy, then if I were her I would order the maternity dress (understanding it would be a sad reminder if she did not succeed in getting pregnant), and have it taken in bigtime if she is still a size 4. It’s the safe thing to do. OR she could order both the 4 and maternity and sell whichever dress she doesn’t need!

Post # 15
562 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I am in the same situation and just went to the shop with the Bridesmaid or Best Man and ordered her dress this weekend. She is not pregnant yet, but could potentially be 6 months preggo by the time of our wedding if everything works out according to their plans.  She ordered a dress 2 sizes bigger just in case (it gave her an extra two inches in each measurement).  The ladies at the bridal shop were extremely helpful because they said it would cost much more in alterations to have to add fabric if she did get pregnant versus taking it in if she didn’t.  I would just make sure that if she orders a size or two up and isn’t pregnant, that taking it in wouldn’t alter the dress so much that it changes the look of it.    

Post # 16
2716 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I’m kinda in that problem. Bridesmaid or Best Man is pregnant, and I’m trying to get her in to get fitted so we know what she should do. She’s due 2 weeks before the wedding, so we’re trying to figure out what to do. She’s just being very dificult on everything!! That’s a whole other story though…

The topic ‘BM who is “trying” to get pregnant’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors