(Closed) Boston/South Shore brides, lets talk FOOD! (cakes & caterers)

posted 8 years ago in Boston
Post # 3
38 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Can’t help you with the catering question as our reception is at a restaurant (Stoneforge in Raynham), so catering is a package deal with the venue.

For cake, though, I would highly recommend White’s Bakery in Brockton (they also have a bakery in Hingham but Brockton is their main site). They have delicious cakes, are great to work with and in our opinion, very affordable. Our cake will be three tiers of white cake with french buttercream frosting, decorated on each layer with a ribbon and one layer with a large bow/brooch. With delivery, we’re paying around $400 (for 125 guests).

Post # 5
255 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2004

We got our cake–for about 180 people–from this tiny little Italian bakery in Somerville. It was yummy and simple and CHEAP–maybe $350, including delivery? My (Italian) friend had recommended them. I was super-happy with it. I could try to track down the name if you’re interested; I can’t remember right now!

Post # 7
295 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010 - The Atlantic Beach Club

I’m getting married in RI, but using a South of Boston baker, Konditor Mesiter in Braintree, they were very reasonbably priced and it tastes amazing! 🙂

Post # 9
866 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I second White’s on affordability and extremely tasy, high-quality cakes. A number of my friends and relatives have used them for all kinds of events — weddings, birthdays, large grad parties, etc. — and have all given positive feedback.

I have to disagree with starfish’s suggestion, unfortunately, since every single experience I’ve had with KM lately has been very, very bad. Two friends and three close family members used them (all 2008-this summer) and the disasters included incorrect colors/styles/filling for wedding cake, completely incorrect inscription, and late deliveries.

Obviously this could all be bad luck, but I won’t trust them anymore. At one time they were the epitome of luxe and gourmet, but perhaps things have changed.

For the catering? Newick’s Seafood, Boston Clambake, and especially clambakeco.

Post # 11
295 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010 - The Atlantic Beach Club

Although Boston Baby has had some bad experiences, I know many people who have had great ones. I think it’s helpful to know both sides. My Sister used them for her wedding last October and had a wonderful experience. We’ve also used them through the years for other family events, which includes my sister’s birthday cake this weekend. Guests raved about the flavors at her wedding and they even include the top tier for free for your anniversary cake. Since Boston Baby’s experiences have also been recent, it’s important to consider. I just love their flavors so much (the pumpkin and banana are my favorites), I’d book them even if I knew of a few mishaps. But after reading that, I’ll make sure to confirm everything and maybe set my delivery time a bit early. Thanks Boston Baby.

We went to about 6 cake tastings before Konditor Meister and they have the best cake tasting, so it may be something fun to do with your bridesmaids to check them out. They let me bring 4 of my bms with me. You can also call in advance to request specific flavors. They give you 10-12 options to try and they are full pieces of cake! They also give you chocolate covered strawberries, favor cookies to take home and a box of pastries. It was the most fun vendor appointment in our planning process. I actually did a couple posts on the experience if you want to check it out:

http://www.weddingbee.com/2010/03/31/duty-calls-and-its-delicious/

http://www.weddingbee.com/2010/04/08/choosing-the-cake/

Hope this helps!

Post # 12
255 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2004

I am SO sorry. I went through my entire binder (yeah, I have a binder), and couldn’t find it! I swear, I have every receipt, form, etc., except for the cake! I even went through the reception paperwork, hoping it was written on there. 🙁 I’ll keep an eye out in case it turns up.

Post # 14
23 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I’m a little late to this post and you might have already ordered your cake but we are getting ours from Dessert Works in Westood MA.  I think they might be a little higher in costs ours is a 3 tier cake with two different gourmet flavors, iced branches and snowflakes as well as a grooms cake for 50 people with decor as well.  Total cost for both cakes with delv is $691.  We tasted other cakes and this was our favorite and the owner is incredible.  We did taste Ivys in Canton and they were good and cheaper if you want to check them out. Good luck

Post # 15
2793 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

My sister’s cake was from Montilio’s in Quincy. They also have a location in Brockton. It was AMAZING!

Post # 16
41 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Wicked Cupcakes in Carver, MA did mine and turned out FANTASTIC. Wendy is great. I had 200 people and she made cupcakes and a small cake. I cannot recommend her enough, she matchedmy inspiration pictures exactly. If you want any more information let me know!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wicked-Cupcakes/161978603701

The topic ‘Boston/South Shore brides, lets talk FOOD! (cakes & caterers)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors