I am totally with julies1949 – Bouts are SO easy to DIY (I made all my own for proms, homecoming, etc. and plan on doing it for my wedding). All you need is:
1. 1 main flower with a stem (stem should be 2-3″ long + flower). DO NOT use hydrangea – it wilts way too quickly for use in a bout. Roses, mini calla lilies, ranunculas, lisianthis are all good. (Please ignore the fact that I cannot spell flower names…)
2. 2-3 sprigs greenery (whatever you want to add – each cut 3-4″ long).
3. floral tape.
4. ribbon (optional). (If you use ribbon, you will also need a couple of drops of super glue/hot glue, or a couple small pieces of tape.
5. straight pin (the ones with something on one end – a pearl or bead – are better because you have something to hold onto when you pin it on).
Here’s what you do –
(1) gather flower + greenery in the arrangement you want (flower should be in front).
(2) Use a small piece of floral tape (2-3″) to anchor the arrangement in the center of the stems – wrap the tape tightly around one spot on the stems.
(3a – if using tape) starting at the top of the stems (closest to the flowers), tightly wrap more tape around the stems until you get to the bottom of the stems. Leave bottoms hanging out (and trim nicely) or wrap tape all the way around the borrom of the stems and either twist to tie off or anchor remaining tape at the BACK of the bout (so it doesn’t show).
(3b – if you use ribbon) starting at the top of the stems, anchor your ribbon to the tape (at the BACK of the bout) with a small piece or tape or a drop of glue. Once your ribbon is anchored, tightly wrap the ribbon around the stems until you reach the desired coverage (see tape instructions above) and then anchor the end of the ribbon with more glue/tape.
(4) keep bout lying flat in the refrigerator (or in a small cooler on top of a dish towel on top of ice) until you are ready to go. If you can possibly make your bouts – or have someone else do it – the day of your wedding, that is best case scenario as the bout will be without water from the time you make it until your man/men wear it, and bouts can get wilted very fast.
(5) Pin bout onto man’s lapel with the straight pin.
Viola! Classy man. :o)
Here are some gorgeous bouts for inspiration. You CAN do this!
[attachment=1112355,139723] [attachment=1112355,139724] [attachment=1112355,139725] [attachment=1112355,139726] [attachment=1112355,139727]