(Closed) Boutonnieres & Corsages making them safe for kids?

posted 8 years ago in Flowers
Post # 3
Member
4024 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I am just using a regular stick pen for my 2 1/2 year old son. It will just be on his jacket, and we will take it off him after the ceremony, so I’m not too worried about it.

Post # 4
Member
46330 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

You can have the florist(or whomever is making the children’s flowers) secure a safety pin to the back of the corsage etc instead of using a stick pin.

Post # 6
Member
4 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Or… you could use a really strong magnet and attach the boutonnieres on that way.

Post # 7
Member
1025 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I’m doing wrist ones for the girls.

Post # 8
Member
809 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I used a pin you would use for crafts that is flat on the back and has the pin and clasp on the other…. i attached it to my boutineers by wrapping floral tape around it

Post # 9
Member
606 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

You could try it either with a safety pin instead of a straight pin or you could use a straight pin but stick a little something on the end of it (I know this sounds weird but would probably work – duct tape? just enough to cover the pointy part of the pin once it’s through the piece of clothing).

 

Bella  

Post # 10
Member
2271 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Ours used magnets instead of pins so there would be no holes. But then again, magnets are dangerous if swallowed.

Post # 11
Member
2196 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

Oh god.  Bluespurrs, that reminds me of an article I read the other day about an eight-year old who had swallowed THIRTY of the magnets from those letters you put on your fridge, which resulted in serious health issues.  Yeesh.  But kids could swallow anything, and if they’re really going to go through the effort of removing whatever’s holding on their bout just to swallow it, and no one’s going to catch them in the act, it seems like magnets might be a better thing to swallow than pins?  

Post # 12
Member
1237 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Please don’t use magnets! Despite being a choking hazard, they are very dangerous if they are swallowed. A large safety pin should work fine. Obviously someone will be watching the kids, if they are super concerned about them, I would just wait until right before the ceremony to pin them on and remove them immediately after.

Post # 13
Member
46330 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

If you are conerned about the sharp point of the safety pin, you can cover it with a piece of pencil eraser after you have fastened the safety pin.

The topic ‘Boutonnieres & Corsages making them safe for kids?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors