YES. I was totally going to make a thread just like this one! I’ve definitely noticed the increase in bridesmaid rant/drama discussions, and it never occurred to me how bad it could get. I feel so bad for those who feel let down by their relationships and wedding experience where bridesmaids are concerned. My bridesmaids were phenomenal. I’ll admit that I went into my wedding planning with very few expectations of my bridesmaids. As in, I just wanted them to show up in the dress I picked out with them. That’s it. But they absolutely blew me away.
– My Maid/Matron of Honor lives across the country (Florida) and she took time off work and flew in to Seattle for a few days solely to be with me to help shop for her bridesmaid dress. WHO DOES THAT?!
– No one made a peep about the vision I had for the bridesmaid attire. They bought their dresses, got alterations, and shoes without a single complaint. I did not require them to get their hair or makeup done and told them to do whatever they wanted, and they still went out of their way to look beautiful on my big day. =]
– The girls treated me to a blow out bachelorette party. Shots at 10AM, dozens of cupcakes from an amazing new cupcake shop, gourmet meals all over downtown Seattle, a freaking penthouse suite at the top of a gorgeous hotel (which they decorated for hours and filled with all of my most favorite snacks and beverages!), a stunning floral arrangement delivered to me at our suite, a night out on the town and all the drinks I wanted in the world. Not to mention drunk pizza at 4AM and McDonald’s in the morning for my hangover. I wanted to cry. I mean, I love my girls so much, I would have been happy with a potluck dinner and a dive bar. They just went above and beyond.
– When my hair stylist cancelled on me FOUR DAYS BEFORE MY WEDDING [email protected]!*&#^;’ my bridesmaids had my BACK. They not only agreed to bail me out of jail for hunting the gal down (except for my Maid/Matron of Honor who said, “Eff that, I’ll be right in there with you!”), but they rallied, told me to forget about it entirely, and spent the next two days playing phone tag and calling dozens of salons. I didn’t have to lift a finger. They ended up booking the most talented, sweetheart of a stylist to make a house call on the morning of my wedding and all of our hair styles were FABULOUS.
– All of my bridesmaids took the day before my wedding off work so that they could help me set up my venue. I didn’t even have to ask.
– My girls slept over with me at my house the night before my wedding and stayed up with me till 1AM while I finished some last minute projects. I continually told them to go to bed because we were all exhausted after setting up and the rehearsal dinner, but they refused to leave my side until I was done for the night. It… meant a lot.
– On my wedding day, they knew what I wanted before I knew it myself. Every time I was about to open my mouth to ask for something, it was there waiting. No joke. Chaser for my shots. Lipstick. My earrings. It was like magic.
– At the reception, my wine glass was never empty. Every time I turned around, one of my bridesmaids had a full glass o’ vino (or a flask) waiting for me.
– My maids left their SOs, dinner, and drinks to help me and my husband with our wedding photos out at the lake. No one asked them to get up and leave to join me, they just did.
– They danced and partied and drank with me all night long, even up to the point where we left our venue and went dive bar hopping till 3AM. Troopers.
– They helped me pee in my massive ballgown. (‘Nuff said.)
There is so much more I could rave about, and more than ever, I realize I am so lucky I have such wonderful friends in my life. What’s more is that I get to see these girls (with the exception of my MOH) on a regular basis and they’re just the most amazing ladies I could have asked for. (In fact, one of my bridesmaids bought a house right next to mine down the street. Talk about happily ever after, hahaha!) This weekend I’m going to let each of my bridesmaids know how much their love and effort still mean to me even though my wedding day was months ago. =]