(Closed) Breach of privacy ? What to do ! ?

posted 5 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I would file with the police on this for sure.  Since you know the woman, you have a better case against her getting into your account.  You might also want to check in with a lawyer to help you with this case.

Post # 5
2297 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

call a lawyer. if you can’t afford one, you can look into legal clinics in the area – do you live near a law school? they often have pro bono (free) legal clinics. 

Post # 7
2297 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

@catracha:  check out the law school online – often they can arrange a small period (perhaps an hour or two) of free legal advice over the phone. it wouldn’t solve the issue of a lawyer to handle the case, but should help define what the legal issue is, your rights, and the steps that you need to take. 

i’m so sorry you are dealing with this – is it possible to switch banks? i would arrange a meeting with the bank manager and raise hell!

Post # 9
157 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

You absolutely have the right to press charges. What she did is called phishing and should absolutely be against your banks policy for employees. 

Post # 10
1041 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

You should definitely file a police report.  I think pressing charges would be up to the District Attorney.

Post # 14
2086 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012 - Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards

The police said to go back tomorrow and see a detective. I think that’s a good place to start.


Consider using the evening to write down everything that happened in order and in a clear, concise way. Honestly, the story is a bit confusing the way it has been written here. Write out dates and what happened or what you learned each day.


Post # 16
3885 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

A lawsuit may be more trouble than it’s worth, because unless she’s actually done something with your personal information, you might not have any actual damages to sue over. I’d request the bank pay for 5-10 years of credit monitoring, and a reasonable amount of money to cover changing banks and closing all your credit cards for new ones. That is probably less than $1000 in fees and time. Ask them to put a notation in your credit report and Social Security file regarding higher risk of identity theft, but don’t get a new SSN because the credit bureaus might not be very accurate at maintaining your records; your new SSN might end up with no credit history, and it’s extremely hard to assess a value on that. I’d also make clear to the bank, in writing, that you are reserving the right to bring future litigation, should the employee at some point in the future decide to use that information in a harmful way; you don’t want to give up your right to sue for any actual damages, just to get some credit monitoring for free. 

The topic ‘Breach of privacy ? What to do ! ?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors