(Closed) Bridal Association estimated that an average wedding costs $38,500

posted 8 years ago in Money
Post # 3
Hostess
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

We didn’t spend that much at all.  You can have a beautiful wedding for a lot less money, just have to proritize.

Post # 4
184 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Holy makrel!  That’s a REALLY nice car!  Umm, I’d like to know what all is included in a wedding that costs that much…there better be peonies, Vera, Manolo, and surf and turf!!!

Post # 5
4765 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas

Wow! We’re not spending anywhere NEAR that! 

Post # 6
2054 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

wow! thats pretty ridiculous as an average…i wonder where this data is coming from???

Post # 7
Hostess
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I think you need to think about this like the average national income.  There are some people who spend ridiculous amounts of money on weddings (and people who make ridiculous salaries) which ends up skewing the average toward the higher side.  Anyone know the median amount spent on a wedding, that might be more realistic.

Post # 8
1251 posts
Bumble bee

I only want to spend about $10,000, and my friends who know nothing about wedding costs think it’s insane. I am like…little do you people know, 10k is a super low budget wedding!

I can’t imagine spending 40k. My parents would probably do it, as I am an only child, but yikes, I am way too cheap to justify that amount. Even though, sadly, 40k doesn’t even get you that much in the WIC. Thankfully my “dream wedding” is much more fun than princessy.

Post # 9
5263 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

My guess is markets like New York, Chicago, LA, San Fran, etc that have really high averages pushed that number up. 

We’ve had this discussion many, many times, but locale has a LOT to do with budget. A wedding in Chicago that is identical to one southern Illinois will easily cost $15,000 to $20,000 more. Since there are obviously people that have platinum weddings in cities as well, those numbers probably go high really quickly. 

Our wedding won’t be anywhere near platinum *snort* but we’ll probably end up spending about $35,000 – and that’s with a hell of a lot of DIY! 

Post # 10
2083 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

i think it is pretty common for people to spend that much, but i think that i can only imagine spending that much if i had a lot more people attending than i currently do and if i wasn’t willing to do things on my own like favors and everything stationary related and stuff.

Post # 12
1251 posts
Bumble bee

Let’s see what I could do with $40,000…hmmm…

Catering for 125 at a Mid-To-Upper Venue (317 at Rice Park)= ~$10,000

Ceremony at same venue & Wedding Coordinator & Officiant= $3,000

Cake from Gateaux Inc.= $1,500

Wedding Package w/ Notable Photographer (Erin Johnson)= $4,000

Flowers= $3,000

“Mid-Level Designer Wedding Dress” + Accessories & Hair/Makeup =$3,500

Grooms Tux= $200

Rehersal Dinner for 30 at W.A. Frost & Company= $2,000

Elum Letterpress Stationary Full Suite for 75 +Postage + QueenQuills Calligraphy= $3,600

Photobooth (It’s a must have these days, non?)= $1,500

DJ & Ceremony Music= $3,000

Transportation= $700

Gifts & Favors= $1,000 (Splurges on those adorable Godiva cakes)

Romance package @ The St. Paul Hotel =$500

Total= $38,500…

But it would be a pretty awesome shindig.

Post # 13
1288 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - Indiana Memorial Union

The bridal association has a vested interest in projecting a very large “average.” They want people to think that’s normal and therefore spend a similar amount. I’m coming in way under that 🙂

Post # 14
60 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I believe it…and agree with ribbons that they want a higher number

It really does come down to location, location, location…in downtown Boston, $38k is around the norm that I’ve been seeing. Sad but true. But Boston is an expensive area, same with NYC, Washington, DC, etc.

I wonder if they factor in local taxes, estimated admin. fees, etc? Because those realllly hike up the prices (as we all know!)

Post # 15
2249 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2018

does sales tax count? I’m from oregon and I am always horrified at the thought of having your wedding cost 8% more!

Post # 16
453 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

I COULD spend that much…but I wont!

The topic ‘Bridal Association estimated that an average wedding costs $38,500’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors