Brides affected by COVID, what our your plans?

posted 1 week ago in Ceremony
Post # 2
38 posts

We are postponing our Feb 2021 wedding to Feb 2022. I am so sad and we made the decision yesterday. My fiancé is graduating from med school and we are moving in the summer to start residency in the fall, so 2022 felt more logical. It feels like forever away though 🙁 

Post # 4
7325 posts
Busy Beekeeper

We have canceled our July ceremony, reception and honeymoon. We are hoping to sign the papers to make it official on our original date and have no plans to reschedule our reception–there are just too many uncertainties. At this point I’ll be happy to be able to get together with some friends and family even casually (and 6′ apart). I hope some day we’ll take some pro photos together. I am disappointed that so many things will go less-celebrated this year in our family but grateful we’ve lost no immediate family/friends to COVID and will do whatever we have to do to keep it that way. Perhaps we’ll throw an incredible anniversary party a few years from now. 

Post # 5
370 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2020 - Austin, TX

Our original wedding date was 5/16/2020 with around 60 guests. We postponed that back in April. We are now getting married this weekend at our original location ( Outdoor chapel in the Austin, TX hill country ) …EEEKKK…with only our teenage kids, parents & siblings present while also still social distancing. We rented cabins for each household as the ceremony is about 3 hours away and is at sunset. We are ordering take out dinner for beforehand to picnic outdoors together and then will be doing a cupcake and champagne toast after the ceremony. Then probably just all enjoying being in the outdoors afterword. We are also live streaming the ceremony for friends and family. No future reception plans have been made at this time. Honestly Im sure we will just throw a bbq at our house someday when things have gone back to normal. I am just excited to be married FINALLY and honestly to be done with all the stress of planning!!

Post # 6
14 posts
  • Wedding: September 2020

Hey there in a similar boat kinda. Our wedding was originally scheduled for April 24th in California (bay area where we are from and most guests). Our honeymoon was fully paid for and scheduled for Paris & Croatia. The venue is all-inclusive and is 1/2 paid for. We postponed our wedding back in March when everything hit the fan. Our new wedding date is mid-Sept. We canceled our honeymoon and got most of the money back. As time unfolded, it seems more unlikely that travel to Europe will happen around our Sept wedding date. We were hoping at the time we could go to Europe by then. We’re thinking of maybe doing a road trip for our honeymoon not sure it’s really TBD…

We have our marriage license and it’s about to expire on May 28th. We’ve been going back and forth on whether we should just legally marry or wait. We’re leaning more towards eloping on Memorial day 5/25/2020. My cousin was originally going to marry us and he agreed to come over and sign the paperwork. We’re looking to do this for 2 main reasons: 1. We’re also house shopping and it makes things much easier if we are legally married. 2. I don’t want to buy another marriage certificate. Even if it’s only $100, it’s just another errand I don’t want to do.

I will likely not tell people that we got married before the wedding. I have a big family that is local and if they find out they will want to come over and I don’t want 2 weddings. I’m locked into our sept wedding date and for me this is just a legality. A lot of brides get legally wed a day or a couple days prior to their wedding. Under these excruciating circumstances, I think it’s OK to legally be married before and still have your originally planned ceremony. 



Post # 7
1514 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2020

View original reply
@kaykibbs87:  That sounds like it will be beautiful and very special.

Post # 8
14 posts
  • Wedding: May 2020

I followed up in a prior thread about May brides last week, but we actually moved up our ceremony date to Mother’s Day from May 30. We were so excited to find a marriage bureau open to get our marriage license at the end of April! It was a private ceremony with just the required witnesses. We used Zoom to stream video for our families overseas and dispersed throughout the US. We felt Mother’s Day was a nice tribute to our mothers and extended family since none of us could physically be together. For us it was perfect, we had a personalized ceremony with a local officiant, a cake cutting, and a first dance which everyone was able to see on Zoom. We plan on doing a vow renewal Our venue currently postponed for October but realistically it may be postponed further. The only positives are that we had planned a small outdoor wedding originally (<50) and it is in an area that hasn’t had local spread. Not sure my in inlaws will he able to fly to the US at that time either which sucks. I will say, our private ceremony was so intimate and it really let me get creative. I made a sola bouquet and used the arch and fake flowers from our planned decorations!

Post # 9
238 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2020

Our original (pre-Covid) plan was for a small wedding (28 guests) at the end of June.  We are still hoping to marry on our original date if weddings are permitted then, but just with the two of us and our 2 witnesses.  Our photographer has said he will come and take photos of the two of us if that is permissable at that time.  If weddings aren’t allowed then, we will just get married on the first possible date after.

I’m sad that my closest friends and family won’t be with me on the day.  But since we sent out our invites, one of our original guests has died and one been seriously ill (not Covid).  Life is uncertain and right now, we just want to make that commitment to each other so we can face our future together as a married couple.  

Post # 10
297 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2020

Current plan is wait and see. My country has been covid case free for the past week and things are slowly starting to open, so we might be able to have our wedding as planned.

I should note that we had always planned a small wedding of 50 people, so it was never going to be a massive gathering anyway.

We do want to make sure we can do it safely which is why we haven’t made a call yet, but being case free is promising.

Post # 11
715 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2020

We’re hoping to still have our small wedding (somewhere between 40-60 people depending how many rsvp yes) in November.  The curve is flattening in our state and parts of it are opening up now, so we are hopeful.

Post # 12
240 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2021

Our wedding was originally for December 2020 but we have postponed to December 2021.


Even though things are opening up, it’s too early. There is no vaccine, and “flattening” of a curve doesn’t mean covid-19 is going away — it meant the restrictions were doing what they were supposed to do, slow the spread and buy time until a vaccine could be developed. But removing the restrictions and opening up now, with many people not adhering to recommended guidelines on social distancing, we still feel there is a chance for another spike in cases — we are already seeing increases in confirmed cases since May 1st (where restrictions began easing). Which may lead to another lockdown.


We are hoping that by December 2021, a vaccine will have been developed, people will have been inoculated, and we can have all the friends and family that we originally invited. Fingers crossed.

Post # 13
189 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2020

We are moving forward with our 160 person Sept. 19th upstate NY wedding. so far only one change- We moved it to my future inlaws backyard so its going to be on private property. All my vendors have confirmed we are still good to go. I do expect a large number of guests to not be able to make it, which is fine, but we do plan on still sending everyone on the guest list their invitation. 

Post # 14
69 posts
Worker bee

Our date and plans moved around a lot. We couldn’t decide if we wanted a ceremony at all or just go to court. I was in favor of just going to court, lol.

We hade finally decided to do a small ceremony with close friends in July but now we have nixed that. Now we’re thinking to do a super small destination wedding in Spring of 2021. I STILL think we should just go to court and get it over with but he wants a to-do, lol.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors