(Closed) brides who had dress regret, sold it & bought a new one – let’s see both!

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
13 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Your second dress is absolutely stunning!

Post # 4
3613 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

@dynamic_duo: You look really good in both dresses! The Jenna is definitely more of a standout though.

I had such a dress saga I don’t even want recount here. I’ll try to recap briefly:

1) Bought this dress after two months of looking. Thought it was gorgeus on the rack, got tempted by the handmade embrodiery, got tired of looking and not finding anything better. BUT, I had wanted a ballgown and not a mermaid. I was worried sick this dress would make look short and chunky. Bees assured me it was perfect. Dress came in, was too big, didn’t look right, even the Bees agreed with me after seeing the new pics, and I ran back to the bridal shops in a panic with 6 weeks before wedding. Still wore this for ceremony at mom’s urging. Thought it looked ok after the fact. Dress got called hideous on SYTTD by some girl. Bees assured me again it wasn’t 🙂

2) One of the panic dresses bought of the rack after dress fail #1. Right silhouette but skirt was too plain, also I decided I wanted to wear white and not latte. The Bees hated this dress, and so did my mom. I sold it pretty easily since it was a Vera.

3) Found the near-perfect dress one month before wedding. My lace dream with the full skirt! Met the designer who came to my help and did a super rush. Dress arrived 1 week before the wedding, and I wore it to my reception. I love it to this day. Only things that kept it from being a perfect 10 were that I didn’t have time for alterations/modifications. If I had more time I would’ve had them open the cups to accomodate my chest better, added a corset back, and added layers of tulle underneath to make a full skirt instead of forcing a gigantic crinoline underneath it like I did. It made the skirt look right but also made my waist look bigger than it is.

[attachment=1693280,209808] [attachment=1693280,209809] [attachment=1693280,209810]

Post # 5
244 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

This is an interesting post. I am interested to see them also. I had a Nicole Miller dress picked out for my back up dress incase I didn’t find anything else I liked. I also thought of it as a little bland and afraid I would look cheap. You made a good decision!

Post # 6
244 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@meliss: The first one is actually my fav!

Post # 8
148 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@dynamic_duo: I am in love with the first one, I wanted that sooo bad…but I am plus sized… and it only goes up to size 10

Post # 9
7779 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Mine were polar opposites. Originally, I wanted a lace trumpet dress. After being wooed by a saleslady and a running of the brides sale, I purchased a very discounted Alfred Sung satin mermaid. I knew immediately that I was unhappy with it but waited a couple of months to break it to my mom. I felt fat and ugly in it. I had a breakdown and so we went shopping again. I ended up with a taffeta ballgown. Literally the exact opposite of what I started out with. I ended up being so happy.

Post # 10
4583 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Fortunately, I didn’t have to sell my first dress because I bought both online was able to return the first one. I don’t have any decent pictures of me in either, but here are the dresses (I actually did a poll and the majority of bees liked the first one better, but I think the second one looks a hundred times better on me!)

The one I returned:

The new one:

Post # 11
566 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Very interesting post…. Can’t wait to see more!

Post # 13
3613 posts
Sugar bee

@dynamic_duo: Thank you! I posted it before and it’s also on the classifieds now. I hope it goes to a bride who has the time for alterations and wears it much better than I did because it is a really, really beautiful dress. I sold #1 too but had a harder time parting with my favorite.

Post # 14
3613 posts
Sugar bee

@zippylef: You don’t look fat and ugly at all in the first dress, but I’m a ballgown girl and love the second one much better. That first dress is really unforgiving with the tight silhouette and the shiny satin. Even if you just swallowed an olive pit it feels like it would show!

Post # 16
5657 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2012

My sister also got your second dress! It’s beautiful! (My sister’s name is also Jenna, haha!)

The topic ‘brides who had dress regret, sold it & bought a new one – let’s see both!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors