(Closed) Bridesmaid can only afford 50.00 for bridesmaid dress,

posted 6 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 94
3208 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

@isabelle_86:  I don’t really care to discuss the politics of bridesmaids dresses, but I just want to chime in and say I handle a number of ODSP appeals, and for your bridesmaid to have saved $50 is actually a significant amount. I don’t know her living situation, but for someone that may make in the ballpark of $600/a month, $50 is a lot of money. I think you’re handling this well, and hope you work with her so she can be a part of your big day! 

Post # 95
1019 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

So you say you would have been happy to pay for her dress if you were closer. Remember she is on a very limited disability income and $50 is a LOT of money to be able to squirrel away from that pittance of an income. Perhaps she would have been willing to skip more meals to be able to afford a nicer dress if you were closer, so maybe you’re both better off keeping your bridal party to very close friends and family only. 

how you can expect so much from someone who earns so little income AND isn’t even a close friend of yours just boggles my mind. And that you CAN help her but won’t because she isn’t a close friend makes me wonder why you asked her in the first place. 

Post # 98
2480 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Here in the UK the bride pays for the bridesmaids dress. It seems a fairer system if the bride has very specific ideas about what she wants her bms to wear – especially so if the main reason for choosing a specific dress is all about the photographs!  Another benefit is that you don’t expect someone to shell out loads of money for a dress they are unlikely to wear again. You also avoid the difficult position of someone being unable to be a bridesmaid because they can’t afford to wear the bride’s choice of bm dress.

However, if this isn’t customary where the OP comes from then a compromise is required. By all means ask the bridesmaids to choose their own dresses but do accept that they may not all match unless everyone gets to wear the less expensive option. You can’t go to a bridal store and order, say, 4 dresses that are identical and then leave one of your bridemaids in the awkward position of having to turn up in a cheaper dress that will clearly emphasise their lack of money.

If I were you, OP, I’d choose a dress that comes in at under $50 for everyone. 

Post # 100
172 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I bought my bridesmaids dresses from eshakti.com, buy 2 get 1 free sales from there are fairly frequent, and I got 3 for under $120.

Post # 101
43 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@turnanewleaf:  Yeah, agreed, I really don’t understand why OP is being so stubborn about refusing to help her friend or have any empathy for her situation.

@isabelle_86:  If it’s so important for you to have her there, wouldn’t you rather pay the $50 yourself than have her need to drop out? Don’t you see how humiliating and unfair that would be? Because she doesn’t have enough money saved away… my goodness, that’s just so afwul to comtemplate that you would do that to someone you consider a friend. Doesn’t sound like you’re much of a friend to her.

Btw, you keep saying that you told her to save up months ago  so that should make it okay… WTF? That is so entitled of you to think that you have the right to demand she set aside her money for your wedding, when she might have trouble paying for groceries or rent. I… have no words.

Post # 102
2965 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I don’t understand how or why this thread went from “where can I get a Bridesmaid or Best Man dress for $50?” to “Why are you asking your Bridesmaid or Best Man to pay for a Bridesmaid or Best Man dress?” The OP didn’t ask for all that. I think she is a good friend for trying to find a dress that fits BM’s budget. We all come from different parts of the world and what may be acceptable for some, others have never heard of it. Don’t look down on people just because they do things differently than you!

OP, some of the Bees advice was helpful. Any dept store, JCPenneys, Ross, Target will have Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses under $50. Also etsy is good. Also look for deals on Groupon. Ignore the rest of this BS. Some people I swear…

Post # 103
157 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@julies1949:  this is what i did… any purple shade, floor length… everyone looked beaufitul

@isabelle_86:   not the best example, but here is a small glimpse of 2 of my BM’s… everyone looked amazing!!

Post # 106
12291 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

I think hair and makeup for your bridesmaids is the thing to go when you are on a tight budget.  To begin with,all you can do is offer those services, not require them.  Otherwise, it’s like saying that you don’t trust or accept that adult women are capable of looking appropriate and that dressing them up according to your standards is more important than having them  by your side. I  always prefer to go to my own person or DIY.  

The topic ‘Bridesmaid can only afford 50.00 for bridesmaid dress,’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors