(Closed) Bridesmaid dresses

posted 4 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 2
633 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2019

I was in a wedding and  we were a two piece dress and everyone could pick how they wanted the top sleeveless strapless halter etc but they were all the same dress if that helps. 

Post # 3
85 posts
Worker bee

Please pay attention to your bridesmaids body types.  Make sure they are able to wear a bra. And a real bra, not a stick on one.

Are they comfortable with strapless dresses, something tight on their lower half?

ne bride  sizetook her 2 sister bridesmaid dress shopping. They ended up picking a sheath dress. Looked great on her, not great on the plus size girls. Because it was tight fitting and I have larger hips than bust they had to order me a dress 3 sizes too big. It was  still too tight on my hips, but 8 onches too big in the bust. It  involved a lot of expensive alteraralte to fix the bust. Something with n A line skirt would have been more come and I would have been able to order a reasonable size.

Take photos of the dresses you like. Have the bridesmaids rank their choices. If pick highest ranked dress.

Post # 4
590 posts
Busy bee

I only had two bridesmaids and just gave them a fabric/color and let them each pick their own style, but my advice – if you’re concerned about them liking the dress and feeling comfortable in it – is to not assume just because you think it looks great on them that they feel the same way. Both my bridesmaids are super thin, size 2 girls who I assumed would be comfortable in anything. One was super self-conscious about her arms, the other was equally self-conscious about her butt. They both hated the idea of strapless, even though I thought it would look great on both of them. One had really strong opinions about one-shoulder dresses (I love a good one-shoulder dress thrown in when you’re doing mismatching dresses, she thought it was “trying too hard” for a wedding). 

To be clear, they are both really easy and would have happily worn whatever dress I assigned if I went that route. But I did ask for their input and was just shocked by the things they thought of that I never would have! So maybe it’s best to figure out if you really want everyone’s opinions. If I had asked for everyone’s opinions and then tried to find one dress that worked for four different girls, I probably would have gone crazy.

Then again, I wouldn’t want them to wear something they were totally uncomfortable in.

Post # 5
2124 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

Please please please let them try the dresses on together before you go making anyone order a dress they haven’t tried if you’re insistent on having them all in the same dress.

It’s just unfair to be made to buy a dress you haven’t tried on or seen on yourself.

Post # 6
10809 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

View original reply
sweetbee88 :  

If you could let go of this idea  “I want everyone to wear the same dress and same color” . it would make the whole  thing  easier .  Unless they are all pretty much  all the same  weight,  height  and body type  is really unlikely  that   they  will look  and feel their best in the same dress  , though they might be too nice to say so to you .

Giving a colour and a length (and maybe a fabric type) is a far better way to go imho.

Post # 7
1814 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2017 - Pearson Convention Centre

I went shopping on my own first and I narrowed it down to 3 dresses then I brought them all with me

Post # 8
65 posts
Worker bee

I took all three and let them together agree on the style they all liked (wanted the same) and I picked the colour. I did pay for the dresses as well.

Post # 9
484 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

View original reply
sweetbee88 :  I picked a dress style that I liked and showed my bigger girls to get their imput on whether they will feel comfortable in it and whether it worked with their body type etc.  Once they said they liked it then I told everyone the cost they gave the money to me and I ordered the dresses with my Credit card.  This ensured that all the dresses will be ready at the same time and will be from the same dye lot. 

Post # 10
484 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

View original reply
elderbee :  I agree it will be easier but it can definately work.  However, there are alot of dress styles that look good on all body types. I had bridesmaids of all different body types and they wore the same dress same color and it wasn’t a plain dress either it was a one shoulder sweatheart neckline and they loved it and they looked great and got many compliments. 

Post # 11
155 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

I had my girls look online and see what they liked then they picked one they both could agree on and that was that they ordered and one of them has come in so far

The topic ‘Bridesmaid dresses’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors