(Closed) bridesmaids’ hair & makeup

posted 8 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
229 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

In every wedding I have been in, I have done my own makeup.  I had my hair done professionally twice, but did it myself the other times.  

For the more formal weddings, I had my hair done, and if I had had access to a decent make up artist, I would have paid for the service (unfortunately, there aren’t any around where these weddings all took place).  

You should just check with your BMs–some do NOT like having someone else do their make up.

Post # 4
829 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

I think if it’s in your budget some brides will provide it as a gift for them… if not they will be fine paying for their own or doing it themselves. It’s not expected if it makes you feel better… some brides like to have everyones hair makeup etc the same

Post # 5
1757 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’ve given my ladies the option but left it up to them. 

Post # 6
3709 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

When I have been a Bridesmaid or Best Man, I have done my own make-up. I don’t think a MUA is expected for BMs…but it’s a nice gesture if it’s in the budget.

Post # 7
1701 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I’ve been a Bridesmaid or Best Man several times and have always done my own makeup. I’ve always had my hair professionally done though. If given the choice however, I would do my own hair too. But that always seems forced upon me! That’s why I’m letting my girls do their own if they want. If they want to go to a salon, that’s fine too.

Post # 8
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

i’ve only been in two weddings. both i got my hair done, and i got my make up done for one but not the other. i gave my girls the option and they both want to get both done for mine. i’m kind of glad because their dresses are casual so it will dress them up a little. but i also think it depends on how good they are at doing their own, i would look a hot mess so i prefer to get it done.

Post # 9
3332 posts
Sugar bee

I’d check with your gals and see what they were thinking.  I didn’t have my gals get their makeup done professionally, but they did get their hair done.  My hairstylist is a friend, so she did the entire wedding party’s hair as a gift. If this hadn’t been our plan, I probably would have just had them do whatever they wanted.

I’ve been a Bridesmaid or Best Man several times, but I’ve never had my makeup or hair professionally done, or offered to be done.  I think it just depends on the bride. 

Post # 10
774 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

I would check with the girls too. I wasn’t going to ask them to pay for yet one more thing (my budget does not allow to gift it), but when we went dress shopping they all pretty much made it seem like they wanted to. So, when I found the place I liked I sent them the info about Bridesmaid or Best Man services and for the flowergirls and pretty much all of them are getting either one or both services including our moms and the flowergirls. I was actually quite surprised. I also made it very clear in my information email that it was not necessary and I did not care if they got their hair and makeup professionally done…the most important part of the day was them being there not how they look as I think they are all beautiful anyway. 🙂

Post # 11
37 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I also don’t have enough in my budget to help pay for their hair/make-up so it was up to them if they wanted to pay for it.  I did try to find more reasonable prices for them to help out a bit.  Like all the other brides, I would just talk to your BMs.  Half of mine are getting their makeup done and the others aren’t.

Post # 12
2634 posts
Sugar bee

I’ll be paying for my BM’s hair and I’ll give them the option of getting their makeup done by the MUA I’ll have on hand.

Post # 13
545 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

It’s traditionally the BM’s “responsibility” to cover for their own hair/make up so I am leaving this up to my BMs.  I am hoping to be able to cover for their hair, though, but I am leaving the make up to them.

When I was the MoH for my MoH years ago, I wanted my hair professionally done, and was ready to pay for it, but at the end of the session, my MoH (the bride) paid for me as a surprise present! That was really nice. 🙂  If I have the money, I’d just pay for all my BMs, but that is not the case. 🙁 

Post # 14
2015 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I gave my wedding party the choice to either pay to have their hair/make-up done professionally, or do it themselves, but that I sadly couldn’t foot the bill.

My Maid/Matron of Honor paid to have hers done, and my two other girls did their own. One girl is awesome with hair anyway, and the other does make-up for theater productions sometimes, so it worked out well.

Post # 15
409 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

i’m getting my girls hair done and they’re doing their own makeup

Post # 16
434 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

I’ve had my hair done professionally for all but 1 wedding I’ve been in (been a Bridesmaid or Best Man 6 times).  Of those 6 times, only once have I had professional makeup.  I MUCH prefer doing my own makeup – I know what products will work with my skin (and that they are clean and so are the brushes).

The topic ‘bridesmaids’ hair & makeup’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors