1. Spent lots and lots of time online finding brooches (ebay, etsy, amazon, etc.) Also collected from friends and family. I looked for colors to match the wedding and particularly enamel flowers and rhinestone brooches.
2. Wired each brooch by hand using different methods (depending on the design of the brooch). If the brooch had a flat bottom, I would loop a fairly heavy guage wire (about 8-9 inches) through a small flat shank button, bend the wire in half, then crazy glue it the button to the bottom of the brooch. Next, I twisted the wire as tight as possible at the shank to help keep it from moving. To add stability, I also hot glued at this point. Another method for some flat bottomed brooches and open work brooches was winding the wire around the actual pin, or weaving it around or in and out of petals (care must be taken not to break off the actual pin). This is similar to others mentioned on the boards and blogs. Some brooches had indentations in the middle, which allowed me to use a regular button (the hollow spot made room for the wire threaded through the holes of the button). These were then also crazy glued all around the edges where there was contact with the flat part of the brooch. Again, a tight twist made a secure attachment, followed by the hot glue as insurance. The final method used on some was to make a flat spiral at the end of a wire, bend the remainder up vertically, crazy glue, then finish again with hot glue. Finally, the two sides of the wire were twisted all the way to the end and wrapped with floral tape. I guess soldering would be best, but I’ve never soldered, so I stuck with tools I knew. If I do this again I wil try it.
3. I purchased a bouquet holder with foam for silks (the fresh flower foam is too soft). I chose one by FloraCraft called Gala straight handled bouquet holder for silks. It has a plastic cage around the foam that added stability and I utilized the symmetry of the cage to help organize the arrangement of the brooches. I had a very large flower pin for the centerpiece and then spaced out the next largest flowers evenly around the cage. Then I added the next largest flowers. At this point, the remainder brooches were just arranged as pleasingly as possible based on shape, color, and size. All are hot glued into the foam. White satin ribbon was woven through the bouquet to cover any spots where the foam might show through. The bouquet was rimmed with feathers and loops of the same white satin ribbon.
4. The handle of the holder is a clear acrylic, which would have probably been fine with the bride, but I wanted to make it special, so I wrapped and glued some layers of a thin foam around the handle and added a disc of hard foam to the bottom of the handle then covered it with a square of the ribbon. Then I took the ribbon and wrapped and glued over the foam on the handle. I also gathered and glued a collar of ribbon around the bottom of the ball. Finally, two strips of sheer purple ribbon were wrapped over the white on the handle and pinched in the center front to add detail. A long rhinestone brooch was placed vertically on the front of the handle, a row of small glue on crystal flowers covered the back seam, and a round brooch added the final touch to the bottom of the handle. Quite a challenge, but the end result was worth it.
Copied and pasted this from the gallery section where someone earlier asked me for tutorial as well. We are 4 days away from my niece’s wedding and I am almost finished with all the girls bouquets and the centerpieces. everything is turning out beautifully, and I can’t wait to se it all put together and the gorgeous bride beaming in the middle of it all. If you have any other questions, let me know.