(Closed) Budget $5,000

posted 5 years ago in Money
Post # 2
864 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2006

View original reply
smithtowindham :  

I have to ask…how is your reception going to cost under $100?

Post # 3
30393 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

How many guests are you planning? Does your venue provide chairs, tables, linens?

Will you have centerpieces?

Are you having a wedding party? Will they have bouquets or boutonnieres? Have you budgeted for gifts for the wedding party?

Post # 4
5360 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2015

View original reply
smithtowindham :  How on earth is food, liquor and a bartender and DJ only $1200? That’s amazing. 

Things you seem to be missing are small but it’s honestly shocking how much they end up being. Not all of these are necessary, but I’m putting everything I can think of so you can figure out what you still need.

Decorations (other than flowers though you don’t have a cost estimate for that)

Officiant fee

Ceremony music? 

Rehearsal dinner

Plates/napkins/silverware/cups

Table/chair rentals (for both ceremony & reception locations)

Linens/chair covers

Shoes & accessories

Invitations/STDs

signage

programs

transportation

wedding night housing

gifts for party/parents

tips

thank you notes

postage

favors

non-alcoholic drinks (if not provided by caterer/bartender)

Post # 5
2067 posts
Buzzing bee

Here are other things I paid for:  Invitations, tables & chairs, linens, Plates for food and cake, plastic ware, cups, ice, water bottles, Printed place cards, Vases for flowers or other center piece costs, cost of flowers, cake, postage, thank you cards, shoes for me, wedding party gifts, parent gifts, hair & makeup, wedding night motel, wedding day snacks and drinks while getting ready.

adding – transportation, save the dates, thank you gifts for people who threw my shower, liability event insurance, marriage license, gift for officiant.

Post # 6
545 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

How is your photographer 600$??

Post # 7
1789 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Serious not sure how you are getting these things for such inexpensive fees. Our DJ was $1600 and photographer was $8000!

Post # 8
420 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

I thought I was getting a good deal with $2000 for my photographer, 600 is a great deal. 

View original reply
MexiPino :  I agree with this list, the little things are what add up in the end, it’ll surprise you.

Post # 9
254 posts
Helper bee

Just wanted to say ‘Good on you.’ If you put your mind to it and are not fussy about things you can achieve your goal. Totally get advice but also remember that it is YOUR day and if you don’t want to spend money on something, or loads of money on something, then don’t. I didn’t want a wedding cake so I didn’t have one. I collected stones from the beach and wrote guests names on them for place settings. We printed our invitations ourselves – there are sooooo many ways to keep costs down – you don’t need to buy into all the wedding spending hype. All the best with the planning.

Post # 11
538 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

You still are not explaining clearly how a reception is going to be under $100?  What about the cost of groceries that will need to cooked,  who is cooking?  Are they charging you?  Do you have a caterer for the meal or is a family member cooking for you in the kitchen.

I understand you have a “building has a kitchen in it and it has chairs and tables,” but are you having tablecloths, plates, cutlery, etc.  What about the serving dishes for the food?

Can you more clearly explain what you are doing for the reception which usually includes a meal?  Are you just doing cake and punch something like that?

Post # 13
6216 posts
Bee Keeper

Our wedding fit that budget easily, aside from some things we really didn’t need (ATV rental, covering rooms for some guests).  I would actually be leery about all you are getting for under 2000 … is the food going to be decent or crap?  We self catered, so ours didn’t cost a lot either, but I would be worried they’re going to do stereotypical wedding food instead of something you actually want to eat. You don’t really need a dj, though they can be helpful – an iPod and speakers works well, too.

Our whole setup was more backyard bbq than fancy wedding.  Plastic tablecloths, heavy duty paper plates, silverware only b/c the venue had it already.  I did buy 3 bouquets and 2 corsages but all the rest of the flowers I purchased at the grocery store the day before and we did our own centerpieces.  We made sure our venue was pretty enough not to need additional decor.  My dress was under 100, my shoes cost 13 on Amazon – I don’t think there’s a real problem with cheaper dresses at all.  Not needing alterations is a very good thing, though.  Beer covers liquor just fine unless your guests are jerks.  Find a local brewery to make it a little more special (and with any luck they brew root beer, too!).  Then the basics – tea, water, coffee….

and a guest just came over, so that’s it from me for now!

Post # 14
1849 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
smithtowindham :  I’m doing a NorCal wedding for under 8k. I could totally budget you a SC wedding for 5k (I’m from Arkansas and lived most of my life there so I know the cost of living difference p well by now haha)! What do you need help with, lady?

The topic ‘Budget $5,000’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors