(Closed) Budget brides- how I had a great wedding for 2,000 :)

posted 7 years ago in Money
Post # 3
11325 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

Great work!!! I’m so glad you had a wedding you loved for what you were comfortable spending!

Just wanted to add as tips for budget brides: 

– We did an ipod reception. It cost us $0. We did all the work ourselves and it turned out great!

– The grocery store has nice flowers! My mom bought a grocery store bouquet for like $12 for my house for the day-after brunch and it was GORGEOUS. I was like wow… I totally would have been happy carrying this lol. 

– Even pro bakers give deals! We got cake for 120 people with a 3 tiered cake + a sheet cake in the back for cutting for $300. It definitely did not LOOK like a budget cake– it just took some shopping around.

Post # 5
1767 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@SnowPeony: Wow, this is awesome! Just curious, how many people did you have?

Post # 6
3126 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2017

Thank you so much for sharing!!

I do just want to warn people that I am currently doing a pearl bouqet and mine is…not cheap. At this point I actually think it would have been less expensive to go to a florist but I was more concerned with looks than cost, thank goodness (we are getting married in a greenhouse and have no way of knowing until close before the wedding what color flowers they will have on display, and I am a control freak and as worried about matching flowers…like it matters). Part of this may be if you are using crystals, how full you want it to look, and where you buy your wire from. I think those three things are what is racking my cost way up! 

Post # 8
7300 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

This is great! It reminds me of 2000dollarwedding.com 

It can be done. You just have to research and figure out what’s important to you. ^_^

Post # 9
4109 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Wow, thanks for sharing- great job & your wedding looks like it turned out so fun!

Post # 11
610 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

wow that’s amazing. great job. i wish we could have a cheap wedding like that.

Post # 12
295 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Congrats and thank you so much for sharing! We are doing ours for under 3000- but, I would love to get it as close to 2000 as possible!

Post # 13
7694 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Great job, and from what I have seen from photos I have looked at so far-it looked beautiful, wonderful and fun!  I can’t wait to go back and see other photos! I absolutely LOVE your gown.  I’m curious about what gown it is.  Do you mind sharing?  Congratulations!!!

Post # 14
6351 posts
Bee Keeper

Thank you for posting this πŸ™‚ I love these posts because they are full of such great ideas!

Post # 15
3 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: March 2011

It’s soo nice to see other budget weddings! I am trying very hard to keep mine around $2000 for 50-60 people So far I’ve been lucky. I’ve spent right around $700.  The wedding is Saturday, so I should have a final total next week! THe rest of the money will go towards food and drinks. Congrats on your wedding

Post # 16
1690 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

i am also trying to cut costs for our wedding.

i have DIYed my Bouquet,  and bought 4 silk gerbera bouquets for my bridesmaids for £5 each…..

i am trying to work out how i can travel to my destination wedding and NOT have the one tier cake my planner has told me she could get me for £60……for 8 people thats almost  £8 per slice!  

we are having a 3 course meal in a restaurant instead of a reception……8 people would look rather lost at a reception. so maybe that restaurant could do me a good deal on a cake……or dare i take a cake with me?  sounds cheapskate but i really just wanted to make my own, and i want a red velvet cake and decorate with butterlies……not sure i could get that from where i am going.   I i CAN make cakes, i used to be a chef) regardless of WHO  makes the cake, i have bought my feather butterflies for the  side of the cake and a butterfly wedding cake topper.  i will make that myself.  i have also bought some more butterflies to add to the bridesmaids bouquets,  i have made a brooch bouquet and without realising,  i have quite a few butterfly brooches in it,  so i think i will carry that theme on.

i bought a chinese knock off dress of my dreams. but i ordered one with not much details,  because i have so many swarovski crystals,  i want to embellish the dress myself, and i have heard that chinese knock offs dont always get the beading right,  so i didnt chance it,  cos i wanted to do it myself.

i have made my own jewellery,  and also the bridesmaids.  swarovski crystal necklaces, bracelets and ear rings.  total for all 5 of us…..£ 50

i have the greatest pair of ivory shoes that i bought for work,  but as soon as i got them home i realised they could be just right for my wedding so i havent worn them,  being as i bought them with work in mind, they are soooo comfortable.  i have bought 2 matching diamante brooches to add to the fronts of them…..

total cost of shoes/brooches    £20

i MIGHT make my bridesmaids dresses,  but sometimes the fabric is quite expensive and its not worth the bother of doing it,  its sometimes as cheap to go in the sales or a chinese knock off. but i will also make my own net underskirt….approx  £7 to make. 

i made a swarovski crystal tiara for myself, but now i dont think i will wear it, because the hairstyle i have chosen wont look right with one.  so i will probably sell that. the dressmaker sent me 3 spare flowers for what i was going to use for the back of my dress when i bustled it later that night,  but i am going to make a hair peice with those 3 flowers instead.i have made my bridesmaids side tiaras . 

i bought hair extensions too,  and this was really my only extravagance.

i wont be sending invitations, or STD cards. i can TELL 8 people!  LOL

i love DIY  and i love getting something that i love for a quarter of the cost…….so its handy to be handy! 

The topic ‘Budget brides- how I had a great wedding for 2,000 :)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors