(Closed) Budget only £2000

posted 5 years ago in Money
Post # 3
965 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

DIY – make your own food and ditch catering for a start. get any creative/artsy/talent friends/family on board to help out. it is do-able and this is a good place to start looking for ideas of how to save money on certain things and they are other ladies here on the same page. 🙂

Post # 4
6344 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2014

DIY all the way basically!

Rent a village hall, or speak to places like cricket clubs/golf clubs/pubs; most golf clubs etc will throw in a free buffet, and sometimes a DJ too, provided a certain amount is spent on drinks at the bar, so call round a few and see what they can offer. Failing that, a village hall will cost around £200 usually for the whole day, so won’t break the bank,

Make paper pom-poms for decorations, or bunting; cheap, cheerful, and very effective.

Speak to friends and family and see if they can help with food; obviously people travelling a long way won’t be able to, but those who live locally might agree to bring a plate of food in lique of a gift; it doesn’t hurt to ask!

Cake-wise, go for cup-cakes plus a small cutting cake, and bake them yourself.

Drink-wise, if you go with a golf club/pub then obviously that’s sorted. If not, wait for a good deal at the supermarket: Sainsbury’s does buy 6 bottles of wine save 25% a few times a year, which can save you a fortune; you can pick wine up for £3.75 a bottle. Likewise, most supermarkets do offers on beer/lager. Or again, ask people to bring a bottle instead of a gift.

Check out the high-street or chraity shops for your dress, and for your bouquet, go for something very simple eg a medium-sized bouquet of hydrangeas will only set you back about £30.

DIY all your stationery, like invites etc.

See if anyone you know is a budding photograpoher/DJ, and see if they can help you out for free, or a very reduced rate. Or, speak to local colleges/universities; you might get a band or photographer for as little as £100.

Post # 5
Hostess
5603 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2019

Excellent advise above! Just wanted to add, our local football club is free to hire for parties. Cash bar, you just book a DJ and bring food etc. x

Post # 6
7992 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

The most expensive thing will be the food and the booze. Now, I’m doing my own buffet, if you want tips?

The alternative is to make it a bring a bottle/ bring a dish do’, where guests bring food and drink instead of wedding presents. I saw one invitation where they had a bake off, and gave prizes to the best starter/main/dessert.

How handy are you? What can you do and not do? Can you cook, sew, brew?

EDIT: Actually, I imagine this sort of budget could be very liberating, because it will stop you agonising over “should we spend more on…”. We will probably end up spending about 10K, and I can’t imagine that we will get much more for our money than you will get, in real terms. OK, we’ll have a free bar, which you won’t have, but you’re going to have food, a DJ, a dress… etc etc. I can definitely see the upside to your budget, even if you can’t… yet!

Post # 8
7992 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@sapphirecupcake:  Be careful about packages because there are often hidden extras… they are often not inclusive of VAT, and they charge extra for a glass of wine with the meal and things. If you are having a sit down dinner, then people will expect a drink whilst they wait for the meal, and a few glasses of wine with dinner etc etc. So make sure you do all the sums… we initially wanted to have a package, but then we realised that the hidden extras made it far too expensive!

Also, check that package places allow you to bring in your own cake etc, because some places limit you to using their approved vendors at inflated prices, and others don’t allow you to bring in cake/cupcakes/any food from outside, because of their insurance.

Flowers: I’m having wooden flowers. Ebay special… can’t remember the exact amount but it was £150 ish for 1,000 flowers and greenery. Artificial flowers can (strangely) be expensive, so I would look into doing origami/ paper flowers as well.

Seriously: ask me anything, because I have decided that I will stalk this thread for a while (I get bored sometimes and try to find a thread or two to stalk. This is todays….).

Post # 9
1478 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013 - Creek club at ion, SC

Marks and Spencers your cake. They have plain tiers for next to nothing and just just some nice flowers on top. How about buying a load of roses from a supermarket and have someone give one to each guest to hold, that will make the place look pretty. Next has some great stuff for groomsmen (just saw a tie and hankerchief set for £10) and some great dresses for any younger bridesmaids you have. Their shoes and accesories are great too as well as in accesorize, they have some really cute wedding stuff

EDIT: Just saw your last post you could still Marks and Sparks the cake and just decorate it. As PP said make sure you read th contract through and through and watch out for any hidden charges

Post # 11
7992 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@sapphirecupcake:  That does sound good! have you looked at the menus?

The other thing that put me off packages is that Fiance and I are foodies, and we didn’t want to serve the type of food you make for Sunday lunch, if you see what I mean. In the end, we rented a space and got in caterers, and we are doing our own evening buffet, but if we had been skinter than we would probably have opted for a luxe DIY buffet over a Sunday roast type plated meal. However, that depends on how important food and drink is to you… food and drink were our number one priorities!

Venue wise, the best advice I can give you is to drive all around your local area and note down nice spaces/halls/Irish clubs/pubs/Buddhist centres/WI buildings and churches etc. They don’t all have websites, even in this day and age, and the best thing is to look. Even if they don’t do weddings… ask! You never know. They might make an exception.

Many villages have sold off their original village halls for flats and built horrible concrete monstrosities instead nowadays, but a lot of churches are still standing and some of them only have a tiny congregation. Even if you aren’t religious, some of the historic places might let you have your reception there, in exchange for a fee which will go to the upkeep of the buildings. If this is the case though, check that they allow alcohol on the premises… because some don’t, and this would be a deal breaker for me.

You could also try Buddhist and Hindu centres, although they might insist that you don’t bring meat into the building. On the plus side, they often have links to fantastic vegetarian and vegan caterers, who might be able to do you a deal.

Post # 12
965 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

http://www.lightinthebox.com/ – this is a good website for dresses, you can get one on there for around £100 or so. it’s got lots of (good) reviews on the site if you’re not sure about ordering from there, just a tip. 

Post # 14
7992 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@sapphirecupcake:  Awesome! Of course, it might be free because they charge a lot for the booze at the bar, but with a low budget then I think that’s a risk you’ll just have to take. I went to a very beautiful wedding a while back where they had clearly done exactly this: free hire, but the drinks cost a fortune! But then, if you’re on a budget then it is what it is, and people will just have to control their drinking.

Dress wise, the two top recommended sites on the bee for replica dresses (in addition to the one mentioned by a PP) are DressilyMe and Jasmines. I actually visited Jasmine’s factory, so you can ask me anything about them.

I would recommend that you try on lots and lots of dresses at lots of different dress shops before you do anything though… you never know what will look good on you in person. You can also learn about fabrics if you try them on in person, so if you choose to buy a dress on ebay or something then you will be able to tell what fabric will look cheap IRL and what will look great. If you’re ebay crazy. like I am, then you’ll know that the fabrics can often let you down! Also, if you buy from ebay then ask if the dress has been altered… it can be difficult to alter a previously altered dress.

There’s also a cheap dress warehouse somewhere which I have a link for… clearance stock dresses from £250. I’ll see if I can get you the link…

EDIT: Just remembered… REGISTRAR FEES. If you are having your ceremony in the restaurant grounds, make sure it is licensed for weddings and check how much the registrar charges for a call out fee, because they can be expensive! If you’re having a religious wedding, have you also factored in church charges? Because our church charges are over £750 (choir, organist, flowers, registrar, legal fees, donations… it all adds up!)

Post # 15
7992 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

URGENT: Just had a quick look, and on your budget then the registrar fees and legal costs could literally make or break you! My cousin’s registrar call out fee was £475, in addition to the marriage license fee which is £70 each, or £140 for both of you.

However, never fear… if the restaurant costs are too high for a call out, there may be ways around it… where are you actually thinking of having your ceremony?

Post # 16
772 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

When my friend got married last summer, they did it on a budget. I don’t know what their budget was, but they hired a village hall for the reception and for food, they bought a job lot of slow cookers, prepared the food the night before and just had somebody watch over them while we were all at the church. We helped decorate the hall in the morning too.

My Dad is getting married late this year/ early next year, and they plan on asking people to brign a dish and having a ‘buffet list’ rather than a gift list, and havign a buffert in a marquee in a friend’s garden. 🙂 

The topic ‘Budget only £2000’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors