(Closed) Bummed out…

posted 7 years ago in Emotional
Post # 4
3982 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I’m sorry to hear that! I know it must suck but, you will still be married! Even if the state doesn’t know it yet.

Post # 5
1137 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Self edited because what I said was mean and I feel bad.

Post # 6
6351 posts
Bee Keeper

My wedding planner said this actually happens a lot.

I’m sorry it’s happening to you 🙁

Post # 7
9824 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper


Careful posting this hun, since what your fiance did was basically commit fraud. You don’t want to deal with anymore headaches.

Hopefully something has been learned from this?

Post # 8
6892 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

That’s a really crappy situation. And why would she not respond if she is engaged to someone else? Just wondering.. Is there no way to move the process along — like get in touch with her and ask her to sign or whatever she needs to do?

It’s very awkward, but it is kind of your FI’s fault. Whatever reasons were behind his waiting so long, they are what is causing this, not anything the courts or anyone else has done. On the bright side… it’s not too far from your wedding date.

Post # 9
916 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

That sucks!!  But I agree with Ms Hedgehog…you will be married on your wedding day, and 2 weeks later you will sign the piece of paper that says so!

Post # 10
1285 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Well…he can spend the next 50+ years making it up to you by celebrating both wedding anniversaries. 🙂

Post # 11
660 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I don’t practice law in OR but I do in WA but I recall that if the marriage is uncontested, that it’s only 90 days after the document has been filed as a default, when she didn’t respond to the summons and petition.

§ 107.065. Waiting period in dissolution suit; waiver

1) Except as provided in ORS 107.095 and in subsection (2) of this section, no trial or hearing on the merits in a suit for the dissolution of a marriage shall be had until after the expiration of 90 days from the date of.

EDIT: It seems that you can do a motion to expedite this if there is good cause shown as well.

You should look into this.

Hope this helps.

Post # 15
660 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@napabridekelsey: Oh, sorry, thought you were living in OR.  If he resides in OR, he should file in OR, not in CA even though the marriage took place there.  But then again, I don’t practice in those jurisidiction so I could totally be wrong.

Either way, good luck with everything.

Post # 16
963 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Responding to the papers is usually not “contesting” a divorce.  In AZ, a couple can file each of their respective papers (petition and response) and the divorce can be final within 60 days…the couple just needs to do a consent decree (where they agree on division of the marital assets).  None of that is considered contested – in fact, it’s the easiest, quickest way to get a divorce.

By not responding, she is maknig it a default divorce, which as far as I know, can drag it out much longer because there are certain time periods that people need to wait out in order for the default to go through (the courts like to give people time to respond to defend themselves).  I’d do some research or consult with an attorney in your state for some advice.  It might cost you $150, but it would be worth it.

Oh, and I agree with Ms. Sparkles!

The topic ‘Bummed out…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors