Buying a home for less than $100k?

posted 3 years ago in Home
  • poll: Would you consider a house under $100k?
    Not available in my market! : (188 votes)
    76 %
    I own one! : (14 votes)
    6 %
    That's my price range! : (16 votes)
    7 %
    The features I require are not available in that price range. : (28 votes)
    11 %
  • Post # 2
    2042 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

You wouldn’t be able to buy a studio condo for under $100k where I live. Not trying to be rude, but the only thing you could buy under $100k in this market would be a trailer or a bit of land 🙁

Our 4-level split fixer upper with three bedrooms, three bathrooms cost us $420k and we have put in at least $65k in renovations with more to come.

Post # 3
    7649 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

Alyx19 :  we bought a 150 year home that was last renovated in the 1970s and that is only a little larger than your target. In my market that still costs way more than $100k. This is why my husband doesn’t let me watch HGTV when he’s home anymore lol – I get so upset at how cheap the rest of the country is and yell at the TV!! 

Post # 4
    5070 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2017

$400k gets you a fixer uppper in my area.  You can’t even get a condo for $100k here.

Btw, I am from Fairfield County in Connecticut.

Post # 5
    9729 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: City, State

Our house came in at 54K, 3 bedroom/1 bath on a 7,500sq foot plot built in the 1950s. Granted it was a complete renovation almost as it had been totally tore up and trashed by the previous tenants. But luckily for me, my father did the renovations so it wasn’t as huge of a deal. 

The plan is to use it as a rental property when we decide to move into something bigger. I estimate spending around $120k for the next house when we upgrade.

I live in Texas for reference. 

Post # 6
    5121 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: December 2014

Alyx19 :  Houses under $100k do exist in my area, there are many, in fact. You might be able to get maybe 2 bed 2 bath around 1500 sqft at close to $100k. Less square footage for less money and there are many mobile homes for <$50k. I just took a look at zillow in that range and many of the houses are pretty nice and well cared for (many are owned by older retired folks). Dated and small, but not too shabby. 

As far as the poll goes, we wanted more square footage than that and we bought in the $180ks. 

Post # 7
    518 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

In southern California where I live, I couldn’t get a trailer for that price. My house is ~20 years old, 1400 square feet and I bought it for $250K. 

I don’t know where you are looking and what the market is like, but if you can find one for that price I say go for it! My only recommendation with a much older home is to look at the additional cost you may need for renovations. If you can find a 100 year old home for 100K in your area great, but you may need to consider heating and air systems, roofing, etc. that can potentially need upgrades now or cause you issues down the road. 

But I also see your take home pay is twice the home price, so you definitely have room to increase in price if you wanted to. Although I am not sure your financial situation and I agree it is good to stay on the conservative side, but you can typically be approved for a home 3X your income. 

Post # 8
    168 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2018 - The Garrison, NY

So, I’m an agent and the town I work in, the average list price is $1,099,000.  That town is particularly expensive.

That being said, Fiance and I bought a 2nd house in the next town over in October for $350,000.  Total nightmare of a house.  We’re putting about $100k into it to renovate it and should sell for about $700k in the spring.  In my market, that’s a fair price for a renovated 4 bed, 2.5 bath on .18 acres (a postage stamp).  These are central/north NJ prices.  Lets talk property taxes.  Crazy high

Post # 9
    14919 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

My house is considered “newer” for the area being built in the 1980’s.  I got priced out of the town I grew up in where it cost about 750k+ to get even a 1500sf fixer if you can beat out the contractors with their all cash offers who will then tear it down and rebuild a mccmansion and sell that for 1.2mil+.  So I’m about an hour from the city (Boston) now in another top district where the average 4 bed/2.5 bath 80’s original non renovated home can be found for 5-600k. 

I think there are a lot of big city east and west coast people here… and

Post # 10
    1891 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2017

Alyx19 :  That is a rarity in my area (Metro area in Midwest) unless the house has been condemned by the city. For reference, our home is 1600 square feet, 3 bed 2 bath, finished basement, about 30 minutes outside the city, 0.6 acre lot, and it was listed at 250,000. I know friends who were struggling to find homes in the 150-175K range.

Now, if I were looking way up north in more rural areas, I could see there being a house in your range.

Post # 11
    7412 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

People sell parking spaces for $100k here in Boston.

Post # 12
    3351 posts
    Sugar bee

I mean…..people shop in whatever their market is. Shopping for a “modest” home of $100k isn’t even an option for some. (Yes, I am jealous:)

Post # 13
    9604 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2015

A million dollars gets you a dumpy dated duplex in my area. I’m jealous.

Post # 14
    1423 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2016

NYC bee here. Just came for the real-estate envy (sobs). 

Post # 15
    Hostess
    3831 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: December 2016

It is still an option where I live! But most people wouldn’t want to live here seeing as how it’s super rural. But I love it! We will spend more than that though, because we are looking at 10+ acre parcels AND a house. We’d be happy with a tiny house and a ton of land… 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors