(Closed) Buying booze for 100 guests….

posted 9 years ago in Food
Post # 17
9947 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

TO – RockStar33:  As you are Canadian Bride, your circumstances are going to be quite different (and costs) from other Bees on WBee who are replying in this topic from the US.

So as a fellow Canadian / Ontarian, here are my primary Questions…

1- What type of venue are you using for the Reception?

2- Are you talking the cost per person (per head cost) that is Quoted by a Hotel etc when purchasing an Open Bar Package

3- OR are you referring to an “Special Occasion License” at a Rental Hall, where you purchase the alcohol thru the Hall

4- OR are you referring to doing a “DIY Event” such as an At-Home Backyard Reception, and purchasing the alcohol on your own from the Government controlled LCBO & Beer Store / or maybe directly from a local Winery / Brewery (for the other Bees… Ontario has ONLY Government controlled alcohol… so we don’t have Liquor Stores, Warehouses)

Knowing the answer to these preliminary Questions, will make it easier to know what direction you are going in, and what your aproximate costs will be…

PS… IMPORTANT TO NOTE… As you seem to have a group of heavy drinkers coming to your Wedding… you should be aware… THAT IF you are looking at in anyway doing an OPEN BAR (be it ANY of the aforementioned options 2 thru 4) then you will be LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE for the alcohol that is consumed by your Guests… and liable if they are involved in any sort of a law suit while intoxicated (including a DUI which is a Criminal Offence here in Canada).  This in addition to cost, is the primary reason that OPEN BARS of any sort are not popular in Canada… something to think about… BEFORE you get too deep into your Reception Plans.

Post # 20
869 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@RockStar33:  Not sure if the liquor stores in Ontario allow you to return unopened liquor…  I know it varies from province to province.  We live in Alberta, and we are able to return any unopened liquor wihtin 2 weeks of purchase.  Most liquor stores here give you a chart to go by, so you have an idea of what you might need.  We bought extra of everything, knowing that we could return it.  We’re glad we did, because based on the chart we would have needed 10 or 11 cases of beer for our 70 drinkers.  We went through 20.  (We had a longer afternoon/evening reception, with drinks available from 3:30pm – 1a.m.)  Hopefully you’ll be able to return if you can!  We spent between $1000 – $1100 on booze, but we watched for sales on the things we wanted, and bought it all at the Superstore Liquorstore.

ETA:  Noticed your reply above re: insurance.  Maybe make sure your venue doesn’t require it. We did all our own alcohol, but our venue still required proof of insurance.  (3rd party liability, and Liquor Liability) – in addition to our Liquor License.

Post # 21
2267 posts
Buzzing bee

I am providing one mixed drink and then my guests can bring their own booze. my venue allows it. i may not provide any alcohol. my guests will live 2-3 hours from my venue and i don’t want to provide a bunch of booze for people who need to drive home. i won’t have much room for more than a few very close friends to crash at my place.

Post # 22
9947 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Sounds like you have thought that thru… guessing then that you’ll have SmartServe Certified Staff on hand as well as hired Bartenders (should help to minimize your liability issues, if god-forbid something was to happen)

Here then a couple of decent links to setting up a Bar for 100… as they all say, you’ll want to customize to meet the “preferences” of your Guests

DeGraeve.com = http://www.degraeve.com/howto/stock-your-bar.php

Party Staff.com = http://partystaff.com/barsupplies.html

Of note… a 750 ml bottle of wine (or champagne) is aprox 25 Imperial Ounces… if you take a 5 oz pour as a standard serving (the industry standard) then you’ll get 5 drinks out of each Bottle.

Hope this helps,

Post # 24
869 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@RockStar33:  Haha, yes, we may have kept some of the leftovers, too. 🙂  I know some places here charge a restocking fee also, but the Superstore Liquorstore (not sure if you have it there) doesn’t charge them here.

Good Luck! 🙂

Post # 25
2135 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

We are just doing wine and beer. We are having 110 guests (but this number includes children). We got 8 boxes of wine (equivilant of over 50 bottles) and are buying 20 30-packs of beer

The topic ‘Buying booze for 100 guests….’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors