(Closed) CA rules for former priest as officiant?

posted 7 years ago in California – Northern California
Post # 3
9081 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Solemnization Authority:

California Family Code, Section 400 states the persons authorized to solemnize marriage ceremonies in California are as follows:

  • A priest, minister, or rabbi of any religious denomination.

  • A judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this state.

  • A judge or magistrate who has resigned from office.

  • Any of the following judges or magistrates of the United States.

  • A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme Court.

  • A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district court, or a court created by an act of Congress the judges of which are entitled to hold office during good behavior.

  • A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.

  • A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.

  • A legislator or constitutional officer of this state or a member of Congress who represents a district within this state, while that person holds office.

  • The person solemnizing the marriage must return the original marriage license to the County Clerk or County Recorder as applicable within 10 days of the date of the ceremony. Addresses should be on the county site.”

    ETA: I’d assume no, since he left the priesthood he would not be able to do it. However, call your county clerk’s office. They’ll be able to tell you for sure one way or another.


    The topic ‘CA rules for former priest as officiant?’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors