(Closed) Cahtolic: “Eucharistic Minister” Requirements

posted 7 years ago in Catholic
Post # 3
18 posts
  • Wedding: April 2011

I asked the same question, if people needed classes or something. Our priest said he could “ordain” (don’t know the right word) people right before the wedding.  I guess it depends on your priest. You probably want someone who is familiar with what’s going on though. Apparently, Fiance and I are the ones who are going to be giving out the wine. Our priest said that in the 30+ years he has been doing weddings, no one has ever spilled on the bride but if our guests are smart, they will only go to him!

Post # 4
622 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I don’t know of the requirements, but I thought they had to take classes for it.  I could be wrong though.  I haven’t heard of them being ordained right before the ceremony.  It could depend on your priest.

Post # 5
907 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I am a Eucharistic Minister and did not have to take classes. I just talked to the woman who organizes the music, readers, etc. She walked me through the basics, since every parish does things a little bit differently. Generally, you come up to the altar during the Great Amen, and after the priest gives you communion, you are given either bread or wine to distribute and head to your “post.” I think they just need to be Catholic, and can probably get the basics at the rehearsal or before the wedding.

Post # 6
1025 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Usually you are asked to go through a training, but its nothing really. I mean, if you’ve ever received communion you know what to do.  The priest could probably just tell people what to do in like 5 minutes during the rehearsal.

You might have to be confirmed, I think? 

It’s kind of funny cause its nothing formal that you are iniated into but it seems like once you’ve gone through that training you can just say “yeah, I’m an EM” at any mass that needs an EM.

Our Bridesmaid or Best Man and Maid/Matron of Honor EM’d for us. How’s that for some acronyms?

Post # 7
1556 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

It’s my understanding that you must be a Catholic in good standing..which I would assume meant you have completed all the sacraments through confirmation.  I’ve also heard that you cannot have anything in your life that would cause scandal — which means you cant be living together unmarried, or married outside the church, whether that be a first marriage outside the church without dispensation or be divorced and remarried outside the church.

Post # 8
133 posts
Blushing bee

@Neva: It’s my understanding that you must be a Catholic in good standing..which I would assume meant you have completed all the sacraments through confirmation.

To be in “good standing” means that you are in a State of Grace, which is the same requirement to receive communion.  We could get into a big theological debate about who can receive communion, but in general you need to have received the sacraments of Baptism and Reconcilliation and have not mortally sinned since your last confession.  If you lived in an irregular state (married outside of the Catholic Church with no annulment) that may prevent you from being in good standing, depending on how you are living, so you will need to speak to a priest about your particular situation.  The same thing can be said about living together before marriage.

The topic ‘Cahtolic: “Eucharistic Minister” Requirements’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors