90 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Hey! We’re date twins and live in the same city! Exciting. πŸ™‚

Post # 4
29 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Yay! Some Calgary ladies. I am set for May long weekend 2012 in Calgary.

Post # 6
90 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Well, I was born and raised in Calgary, but every year we go down to camp in Waterton, a couple hours drive away. It’s a small mountain town, a bit like an uncommercialized Banff. I’m getting everything ready here, but taking it all down there to get married in the mountains. Lots of work! What about you? There are lots of very nice venues around town I considered. Some amazing places to get married!

I did my engagement shoot in Prince’s Island Park two weeks ago. It turned out so pretty! Have you done yours around here?

@FootballGirl: How is your Calgary wedding planning going? Oh no! You’re even closer to it than we are!

Post # 8
29 posts
Newbee

I love Waterton, it should be beautiful for you there. We took our e-photos on the long weekend in September at Prince’s Island. Just got the proofs back today πŸ™‚ We did a combo e-session/family photos as my Fiance has a son.

Planning is going well but I am luck to have a best friend who has had a wedding company for 4 years now, and have helped with many weddings in the last 3 years. I don’t what I would do without the knowledge I have gained in the last few years.

Actually, we just did a wedding at Lougheed House last weekend. We were lucky to have beautiful weather and ended up doing the ceremony outside in the garden (a list minute decision). Jacinda10, you are super lucky it is a pretty venue full of detail and they got new chairs to replace the old folding ones and the gold chiavari chairs just add to the beauty of it all. Let me know if you have any questions in regards to the venue and I will do my best to help you.

Post # 10
29 posts
Newbee

HEEHEE πŸ™‚ Yes they are Lougheed’s. They weren’t sure if they would have them by our bride’s wedding but they did. They are gold. They did put them outdoors for us and then brought them back in for the reception and added the white cushion for the reception. We tied an organza sash to them for a little extra. I am glad I could bring you the joyful news. (Yes the folding ones were ugly, even with a chair cover). Let me know if you need anything.

Post # 12
29 posts
Newbee

@jacinda10:

After doing the wedding with the chiavari chairs I looked just out of curiosity for our venue but saw the price and was floored!

The wedding we did the DOC, planning and decor for did do the dance downstairs. It worked out really well and guests all went down (just watch tipsy guests on those narrow stairs). I know that they did put a few tables down there for guests.  As for the tables being split between the two rooms, it did feel a little odd not being able to see the couple during speeches etc. The mic.podium was set up in the room with the piano and people giving speeches tended to station themselves in the doorway so all people could see. Pick wisely who you seat where (I would definitely do a seating chart because of the table arrangement). I think one idea is to put the really rowdy people in the side room (haha). Overall though, it is a gorgeous venue.

The website for the company is hookedupweddings.com or you can email her if you had any inquiries at [email protected]. You can also email me and I can pass it on to her ([email protected]).

We are getting married at Springbank Links Golf Course just at the edge of the city going towards the mountains. I would have loved to be in Canmore or Banff but it is super expensive. Wanted to have a little bit of the mountains in it because I am originally from Ontario and will have many guests from out of town.

Post # 14
311 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I’m not a 2012 bride but I want to participate! When I first started planning I looked high and low for vendor reviews from Calgary brides but they are few and far between… So I will post mine so far!

@jacinda10: Whoa, I’m SOOOOO jealous. Lougheed House was my dream wedding venue, but when we started planning our budget was unrealistically low and so it was too expensive. If I knew how much we were going to end up spending, we definitely could have gotten it… Oh well. Too late now. Anyways, I can’t wait to see your recaps next summer!

We are having our ceremony at Southern Alberta Pioneers Memorial Building: http://www.pioneersalberta.org/. It is an adorable log cabin and has the most amazing views of the Elbow River. For our reception, we rented out Beatniq/Piqniq: http://beatniq.com/. Their catering is super cheap and the guy that owns it is amazing to work with. Love him! The drinks are ridiculously expensive though…. oh well.

Our officiant is Jerry Stilson. He’s hilarious and makes the ceremony as personal as you want it. He’s a really cool dude and put us at ease right away when we met him. We’re a tad unconventional and were worried about finding someone that ‘got’ us… he does. Can’t wait to see how it turns out at the wedding!

For dress shopping, unless your budget is huge, I wouldn’t recommend Sonia’s bridal or S2 bridal (same owners). They’re nice and they’re the only people in Calgary that carry Watters and WTOO dresses, which are my fave, but the markup is insane. I bought my first Watters dress (oops) at bestbridalprices.com after trying it on at Sonia’s, and bought my second (yay!) Watters dress used online after trying it on at Sonia’s. WAY more cost effective.

I can’t recommend enough Echo Bridal. The lady that works there is AMAZING (to my knowledge, its her store and she’s the only one I’ve ever seen working). She orders most of the dresses in from Europe, so she has unique options that I never saw at any other bridal store. She doesn’t pressure you at all. The absolute best prices for designer wedding gowns I have EVER seen in a retail shop… I don’t know why she has some of them marked up so little, but I fell in love with a dress that was on sale for $200 (didn’t end up buying though). I also tried on a beautiful ornate gown that was only $1200… a total steal for what it was. Check it out for sure!

We’re having a friend do the photographer so I can’t comment on that, and an ipod instead of a DJ. We’re having a bluegrass trio for the reception, they’re amazing musicians and they gave us a great deal.

I’d love to hear more of your girls’ details!

Post # 16
18 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Hi Everyone! Our wedding is Sept 2, 2012 at the Calgary Zoo!

The topic ‘Calgary 2012 Brides?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors