California k-5 teachers- How do I become a teacher?

posted 2 years ago in Career
Post # 2
159 posts
Blushing bee

You need to have your bachelor’s degree and complete student teaching. Plus get certification. Kind of weird to be asking to Shadow, I’d arrange that through your school. You have a lot of research to do and your college could help you with the requirements 

Post # 4
1489 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

I’m not in California but I am a K-5 teacher. I think the idea of shadowing is great, but you need to go through some kind of school program to get that. There is no way that me or my school would allow someone to walk in with a cover letter and put them in a class with children. It seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Also, if you shadow, you should do it for at least a week. One day isn’t going to let you know if this is right for you. As far as master’s degrees go (and that’s the route I took because my bachelor’s wasn’t in early childhood education), you still need to take the state certification at the end (it looks like California uses edTPA), but your masters program should prepare you for it. Good luck meeting with your academic advisor and keep us updated 🙂 



Post # 5
159 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
bluesnapdragon22 :  Most people get their bachelor’s in elementary education and something else. It’s not that easy. 


Do you really want to be a teacher or do you just want to work with kids? Sounds like you are describing more of a daycare teacher, not a school teacher.

Post # 6
6889 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
bluesnapdragon22 :  I am not in California but know for the state I am in you have to have a bachelor’s degree in elementary education. Which more likely is standard practice. Which involves student teaching then you have to get a license.  

I started out going for my degree in education but went a different route and have a degree in early childhood.  

No school is just going to let you shadow if you are coming off the street. That is just dangerous and won’t happen in this day and age.  You would need to be in a program to even set foot in a classroom, unless you have a child in school then you can volunteer as a parent.  

Post # 7
4010 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

I have no idea about California, but in my state there is an alternate route program for people who want to obtain a teaching license. It requires a bachelor’s degree (any subject), 6 months of taking education classes, and 6 months of student teaching/internship. During that time you also take the licensing test for your certification. My state uses the PRAXIS test. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors