Calling all 1980's/90's rings!!!

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 16
350 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

I think my husband’s mom’s ring was from the 80s. He proposed with it, but sadly she wasn’t alive to see us get engaged.

I gotta be honest though, I wanted to reset it. Pretty sure it wasn’t originally an e-ring, and IMO the setting didn’t look like one. But I thought it was cool that we were able to use the gold from the setting in our wedding bands:

Post # 18
109 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
honeybee2146 :   I love your mom’s ring.  The sentimental value is something that can’t appreciate by anyone more than a son or daughter. 

Post # 19
807 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 1999

Ering circa 1996 

Post # 21
1343 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2005 - A Castle

Here’s mine! The diamonds belonged to my grandmother, my mother inherited them after she passed and reset into this in the 80s. 

Post # 23
6138 posts
Bee Keeper

Both of my original rings are from the 1990s. My engagement ring is from 1992, when Darling Husband and I got engaged. And my wedding band is from 1998, when we got married. My engagement ring originally had diamond baguettes on either side of the center stone. It is set in 18K yellow gold. My band is two-toned: 18K white gold in the middle and yellow gold on the outside edges. I never intended to wear them together. My husband picked the band as a stand-alone ring. But I’ve worn them together a few times, mostly in recent years.

For a recent anniversary (17, maybe? or 18? I don’t remember — LOL), I had the diamond baguettes replaced with blue sapphires. All these years, the diamond baguettes had bothered me. I never fell in love with them. But I LOVE the new sapphires in my setting. I feel like it gave my ring new life and a whole new look. This is the way I had always wanted my ring to look.

Post # 25
6138 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
honeybee2146 :  Thanks! 🙂 I am the same way: big fan of blue stones and sapphires. I think it looks like a completely different ring. It’s funny how a small change can make such a big difference. 

I thought about changing out the baguettes for so many years. They always looked dull and had no sparkle in the setting, and I always thought that, maybe, they were not great stones. When I finally worked up to changing them out for the sapphires, I learned it wasn’t the stones at all. My jeweler said the baguettes were actually really nice stones. But the setting hadn’t been properly made. On one side, the stone didn’t fit the setting, and the original maker/jeweler had sort of “crunched” the metal in at the corners to hold the stone. On the other side, it was the same way, but not as extreme. So my baguettes always looked dull because they were always dirty! No matter how much I cleaned them, I could never get them clean because of the way the stones were scrunched down into the setting. Now, the setting has been redone to fit the sapphires perfectly. No more crunched-up corners. Yay! 

Post # 27
3322 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: City, State

View original reply
mrsjsh : I get a  happy face every time I see this set. 

Post # 30
56 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2018

View original reply
honeybee2146 :  Yay! So glad you were able to get it fixed. It’s lovely!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors