(Closed) Calling all 200lb+ or 250lbs+ brides!!! Any advice?

posted 5 years ago in Dress
Post # 17
10282 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

View original reply
ana2017 :  Is your mom kind when she is critical? If yes, then it shouldn’t be a problem. If not, it could be problematic.

As for ordering a smaller size – no I would never do that.

Post # 19
2196 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

View original reply
ana2017 :  the idea of going dress shopping made me feel so sick. I had everything else sorted and my mum was worrying about me not finding a dress because it would take so long because I was bigger. I just wanted to skip the entire thing and buy a bloody dress from the Internet and be done with it. But mum wanted to buy me a “real” dress.

So here’s what I did:

I googled plus size stores in my area. I then called each store and told them my street size and asked if they had sizes in before making an appointment. I made one at plus size only shop and one at a shop with a plus size range but sold to other brides too. The first shop stocked a lot of the Mori Lee Julietta range which is really spectacular. I loved some of those dresses. I managed to try on a mermaid in her design and I was so amazed that it didn’t look horrific on me. If was my second choice in the end.

The second shop I was a lot more nervous about. It sold to smaller brides and the picture of the shop owner was a very slender woman. The shop assistant was really great. She actually picked my dress after listening to what I liked and didn’t like. I tried on a dress that was 5 sizes smaller than I bought and it fit. You’ll be surprised what does fit and what doesn’t. As the assistant put the dress I shouted in shock that I actually had a waist! She replied by saying “Loz24 of course you have a waist, don’t be silly”. She was great to work with. She never made me feel uncomfortable at all.

For the getting undressed part I was in my underwear in front of these women at the two shops and it was awkward for a bit. I just wore a normal bra and normal panties (although I made sure to find a pair that weren’t completely “laundry day/period day undies”). For the most part, they aren’t paying attention to you. They’re getting the dress of the hanger and getting it ready to put on you. And when you’re taking them off they’re setting up the new dress or putting the old one away. When you get changed for the final time, they tended to excuse themselves from the changing room. In the event that you don’t need a bra or it’s a strapless dress I just pushed my straps down or took the bra off when the dress was one.

Take your mom and sister with you. If they make an unnecessary comment then just shut them down. Well unless you come out with a face that says “don’t f***ing laugh” because then they’re bound to laugh, despite the best intentions. Undfortubately you might find a dress or two like that but honestly you’ll find some great styles that really suit you. Good luck and post back to let us know how you got on.

PS – I didn’t wear any shapewear at all at the wedding. I just wore normal underwear and I actually still felt beautiful. If you don’t want to wear shapewear, don’t.

Post # 20
2044 posts
Buzzing bee

I actually really loved going to David’s Bridal! They paired me with a consultant my size, had corsets for me to wear, and the consultant even took me into the showroom to pick what dresses I wanted to try. I didn’t get that service at smaller places, honestly. I’m 5’10 and I was about 280 when I tried dresses on, and I tried them on in a few shapes. I’m very much apple shaped – I have a medium/large chest, thinnish arms and legs, not a lot of hip, and most of my weight is carried in my sotmach. I’ll post some here if that helps!

Sheath from DB. Not normally a sheath person but this one is amazing Jenny Packham. I’m not wearing any shapewear here, other than a bra. 

13288115_10207627032326958_2143988327_o

13275527_10207627124729268_1160159995_o

I was really surprised with how nice it looked! My sister told me dresses like this would make me look like a “grape stuck in a straw” so I was nervous

I also did some ball gowns and they let me use a corset. One of these is a size too big but I can’t remember which…

ball gown 2

ball gown 1

Most people agreed the A line looked the best, but it’s just not the look I’m going for

a line

I also tried on a different dress, I guess it was between sheath and A line, for a rehearsal dinner dress that I bought at a sample sale

crepe sheath

hope this helps you, or someone else!

Post # 21
698 posts
Busy bee

Do not order your dress size smaller in hopes and/or motivation to lose weight. It did not work for me and I ended up spending close to $500 in alterations to add another panel to the dress. 

It does not cost much to take in a dress… but adding to it is very, very expensive. 

Post # 22
145 posts
Blushing bee

Yea I said was going to lose weight too- I gained! So just buy what fits now. If you lose they can take it in and if you don’t you can still wear the dress!

Post # 26
2119 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

I went shopping at 240lbs, and just wore a strapless bra and nude colored underwear. The consultants didn’t really “see” anything, and they see so many naked people, I’m pretty sure they are desensitized lol. 

I lost 40 lbs prior to my wedding. Definitely do not order a size smaller than what you measure – if you don’t end up losing the weight, then you are screwed. Your seamstress will be able to fit the dress to your body – this is much easier in an A-line or Ballgown dress, since it’s only fitted in the bust/waist! 

Trying on dress:

Snip20160119_10

Alterations after my weight loss:

Snip20151125_2

Final day (I was 206 in this picture):

Snip20151125_3

Post # 28
457 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2017

View original reply
ana2017 :  please please please stop shooting yourself down. I know how you feel with having body issues but just wear plain underwear and go to the fitting. I didn’t wear strapless to mine. Size 34G.

The consultants have seen everything! I was worrying about the exact same thing and I really didn’t need to in the end.

If you’re aiming to lose weight – go for it, but just be sensible and careful. Exercise and healthy food. Aim for 1,200 calories a day. My fitness pal app is wonderful for tracking calories, steps, exercise and weight. At the end of the day if you’ve set your mind to get fit you’ll do it, just go steady on yourself and start to love the skin you’re in. This wedding dress experience has taught me a lot about my body and I’m determined to lose weight too however I want to do it the healthy way. Yo yo diets are bad for your health.

if you lose weight dresses can be altered. Discuss this with the bridal shop.

Chin up and get shopping! πŸŽ‰πŸ’– 

Post # 29
584 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
ana2017 :  Wishing you best of luck with this Bee! I was in a very similar boat; I was about 40 lbs heavier when I bought my dress and told the consultant I was planning on losing weight. They ordered me one size down. It’s not something that is ever suggested though. Things happen and lifes gets in the way and you don’t want to end up with a dress that is too snug. Knowing that I ordered a size down as truly kept me motivated though. Also, try not too worry too much about what the consultant thinks. In all honesty, they have seen it all!  As someone who has stuggled with my body image, I know that is much easier said than done. But try not to be so hard on yourself! I kept trying to think of my fiance when I was trying on dresses and his reaction and this was something that made me even forget I was pretty naked in front of the consultant! Haha. My first appointment trying on dresses I had a consultant who was not well trained with working with someone with my size; she said something that made me feel self conscious and I went dress hunting again! I ended up going to a place that catered to brides of all sizes and I found the dress that was truly meant for me. Like other Bees have said, see if you can all ahead and get an idea of how large their plus size dress collections are. πŸ™‚

Post # 30
1724 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

I was worried, too, and went the end of August 2015 to shop for a dress for our May 2016 wedding.  I assumed it would take forever and lots of sad tears to find my dress.  I went to David’s Bridal, and was terrified of feeling fat, of being treated badly by the consultant, and all manner of things. 

I knew they’d hand me a long line bra to try things on in, and wore a strapless bra and fold over tube dress that day anyway, just to make it easier to get back into my street clothes, and some boy short undies for maximum coverage.  

I had 7 friends insist on coming, even though we had no bridal party and I had no bridesmaids, since I have no family and H’s mom does not have an easy time getting out of her house, let alone the 1.5 hours drive plus the hour farther to the town with DB.

I had some very awesome friends.  One saw me begin to panic, and took over.  She grabbed my purse and notebook of saved dress styles, handed them to the consultant who started pulling dresses.  I wear between a 12-18 street size, and knew at DB last time I was an 18, and had been so worried about here being no sample dresses in my size I’d called to get assurance there would be something to try on.

My consultant was great.  She brought me a bra, I shamefacedly had to ask for one size up, and she brought it, and I realized I could not do it up myself.  She was sweet, helped me, and made it not weird.  After that, having her toss several dresses over my head and do them up was nothing, and it was very nice.  We found my dress in that one trip, which had been like #8 in my list of 10 to try on.  

Here’s the sample:

11953178_10152937009047130_2911039121598549320_n

And here’s MY dress at our wedding:

13329493_10153439755057130_4379057679486225000_o

The topic ‘Calling all 200lb+ or 250lbs+ brides!!! Any advice?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors