(Closed) ***Calling All 2012 K-1 Fancé Visa Brides***

posted 6 years ago in Intercultural
Post # 3
1269 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I wish I had some information that would help but you guys are actually ahead of us in the process! (I’m Canadian, he’s in the US and he seems to be under the impression I can just move right in).

I’m really looking forward to hearing from some bees with experience!

Lots of luck, love and hugs!

Post # 4
444 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

First of all ladies and great forum to go to is Visajourney.com, I would have been lost without it!!  It’s helped us at every step of the process and everyone is so knowledgeable, also helps to know that hiring a lawyer is the biggest waste of money ever XD

Anyway, my fiance is from Australia and our story goes back to meeting online in 2006 to becoming closer in 2009, us meeting in person in 2010 and him coming over here on a j1 visa to live with me for a year!  Currently we are in the packet3 stage (he got his medical done and is getting his fingerprints for the police report done next monday!)  After that is interview and visa!  Though its been nearly 6 months now since I’ve seen him, and almost 5 months since NOA1.  Let me know if you have any questions! 🙂

Post # 4
444 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Ah forgot to post my timeline lol Sent it in Oct 26th 2011, got NOA1 Oct 31st, NOA2 Jan 27th, Packet 3 came via mail on Feb 3rd and its been a bitch and a half getting everything together for it due to unforseen delays!!!  He almost had to wait til July for the fingerprints O.O

Post # 5
65 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I’m a member of VisaJourney too! I submitted my I-129F in January and I am now waiting for the elusive NOA2! I would really recommend the site as you can ask many questions and people are (more often than not!) polite and friendly with their replies!

So yes, I understand that the process is long and painful, but it is always comforting to know that you are not alone!

Post # 7
3314 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I’m not a 2012 k1 visa bee, but I’ll gladly give you the final timeline on my 2009/2010 visa journey for my hubby.  🙂   I think I’m blanking out the specific names, but I’m sure you ladies will recognize the stages…. lol

Oct 6 filed the k1 visa

Oct 8 got receipt online that it had been received

Jan 15 got notice that it had made it through the US side of things and was on it’s way to the Netherlands

Jan 17 Darling Husband (then fiance ofc) got his packet

Jan 20 the packet forms were submitted

Feb 5 interview date/time and medical/x-ray date/time were received  (I can’t seem to find or remember about the fingerprints part, but I know that for the Netherlands it was something they had to setup/do and not us.

Mar 10 had the medical and x-ray’s done.  We made sure that we had a record of up-to-date immunizations and that the doctor looked them over to see if any required by the USA were missing and for the one that was, we had him do the shot right then and there.  (I’d recommend doing this, this is probably the thing I read the most about that messes up people’s timeline and can cost big bucks if needed when your fiance arrives in the USA)

Mar 15 had the interview which I was able to go in with him for.  He was approved on the spot with what seemed like a very short interview.  I do think it was good that I was there because I was able to answer the one question that came up about our paperwork, and it felt to me that it gave us a boost in their minds of the legitimacy of our relationship.  At least that was the feeling I got during and afterwards.

I can’t remember the exact day that we got his passport back with the visa in it, but it was within a week of the interview.

We flew to the USA April 15th and were married by civil ceremony on the 16th then started the next step of the immigration process once we got our marriage certificate.  🙂

I will say that of all of the friends/acquaintances that we knew that were going through this at the same time, we were through it the fastest.  Some people got hung up in the initial stage with having forgotten something, some got hung up after the interview when the US Gov decided to randomly do additional investigations on the couple before returning the passport with the visa sticker.  

When we finally had our couple interview here in the USA, the interviewer told us that there is no required timeline for them to follow and that we were lucky that it had taken us such a short time (well and that it helped that we had all our ducks in a row and were obviously not trying to pull something).

@KimmySumShuga:  I’d have him call the US Embassy to see if it’s possible for him to schedule that early.  I know some countries allow that and others (like the Netherlands) don’t.

Post # 8
120 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@KimmySumShuga:  oooh 6 months is cutting it close, but you do hear about people that get the petition approved in a matter of weeks! so it for sure can happen. may as well get your congressman involved early too, seems to speed things up. for my Fiance and me it took just about 6 months to get the petition approved, and he is now waiting to do his medical and get his interview scheduled. i got my NOA1 august 24, and here we are march 20..still continuing the process. good luck with yours, it is a long frustrating process, keep us updated 🙂

Post # 10
4 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I hate to say, but from what I’ve heard, 6 months is really cutting it close. I have heard of stories where it was all said and done it that amount of time, but I’ve read more stories of 8-9 months. On the USCIS website, it states that the typically timeline just for processing the I-129F is 5 months, and then you have to do doctor’s visit and interview after that before he’s cleared to come this way. Best of luck to you though.

Our story… My Fiance is from Zimbabwe, but currently living in South Africa. We submitted our I-129F the first week of January and got our NOA1 on Jan 9. We are currently waiting for our NOA2, but aren’t expecting it until April/May.

Fiance and I both dislike having things up in the air (like planning a wedding without knowing if the groom will be in the country to attend) so we decided to not quite plan the wedding yet. Instead, when everything is approved and he’s able to come here, we’re going to do a small intimate ceremony with immediate family only. A year later, on our 1 year anniversary, we’re planning on doing a traditional wedding ceremony/reception with friends and family galore. That way, we have a full 12 months to plan and don’t have to worry about any more about timing it perfectly.

Again, best of luck to you and your Fiance. I’m really interested to hear about your process.

Post # 11
63 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@KimmySumShuga:  I am a 2012 K1 bride! We filed mid september 2011 and my visa was approved at the embassy on 23rd march 2012 and my passport containing visa sticker arrived on the 28th march. I have been back in the US with my husband to be for a week and a half now, i am SOOO glad the waiting is all over with!! So, ours was relatively fast and we even took a while getting forms back to them so you could probably save some time by scouring the london embassy website and getting everything ready for when they ask for it. You will be told when you have been approved (NOA2) and you will be notified again when it has been forwarded to london for further processing. There are a bunch of forms you will be asked to fill out and return before they can schedule you an interview date. You could definitely apply for the police form now if you wanted, as they are valid for a year. Also, closer to the time, go ahead and shedule the medical. You dont need permission for the medical, you just need a case number and you will get that once london tells you they have recieved it. Our wedding is june 6th but we didnt start planning until we knew we were on the last stretch of the visa stuff, because you never know if youre going to get an RFE or something. ALthough, you guys should be fine if its been 6yrs and you have lots of evidence!!

So, our story 🙂 I am english, he is from philadelphia. We met while i was backpacking in Thailand in 2010. He was there working as a scuba diving instructor and i was learning to dive…tall dark and handsome, with an awesome tan.. need i say more?! Haha.. So, after almost two years of travelling to thailand, usa, mexico, canada and UK to be together (i spent too much time in the us on visa waiver so wasnt allowed back in!) we are finally reunited permanently and planning our beach wedding! The visa process itself isnt really that bad, just do your research. Visajourney and britishexpats are great websites with plenty of experts, you shouldnt need a lawyer. However, being separated has been so hard and has really tested us but its definitely made us stronger. I wish you the best of luck!!!!

Post # 12
686 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I’m not a visa fiancee and don’t have a visa fiance/e, but I just wanted to say that I’m so sorry that our process is so difficult.  Most Americans haven’t the slightest clue how hard the process is, and think that somehow a wedding band automatically confers upon you all the rights and documents that allow you legal residency. 

(Actually, most Americans probably believe that a wedding ring immediately makes you a citizen, haha.)

Post # 13
726 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@KimmySumShuga:  Did you ever end up getting your NO1 email or text message? I am asking because I never got one either. (Not that it matters anymore since I’ve got the hard copy … but I’m just wondering what happened!) 

Post # 15
3 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Hello! I am planning on being a K1 2012 bride. I sent the I 129F in early January, got it back because I had an outdated form, resent it and got the confirmation by text and NOA1 in late Jan.  My Moroccan fiance and I met in 2007 when I studied abroad in Spain, then we stayed in touch during my senior year in college. After I graduated in 2008, I went to live in Spain for three years but I myself had some immigration problems there so we decided to suck up a year apart so we´d never have to worry about being seperated again and apply for the K1 visa.  I´ve read that it can take 5 months to just get the NOA2… I love how people ask me like every week, ¨So, any updates on the visa?¨…¨Just like I told you last time, we should hear something in May or June.¨  ¨Can´t he just come here automatically if you get married?¨ ¨Yeah if we do that he can come tomorrow actually if he wants but we are just chosing the more complicated way that takes 6 months to a year…¨ ¨So when´s the wedding date?¨-   ¨Just like I explained last time, we have no idea when the visa will be approved, but after than withing 90 days.¨  I know a little bit how complicated immigration process can be from living in Spain, and coming to America I´m sure is at least 50x more complicated.  But people just don´t get it…

(I also don´t have an engagement ring, nor do I plan on getting one, which also makes conversations interesting. I think of that future sticker on his passport as my engagement ring)

I am waiting until things start going into motion before starting to plan anything, just because I´ve been reading stories about people having to cancel weddings, push them back more than once, etc.  At first I was set on scrambling together a wedding in a few months, but after thinking about it more realistically (like, we´re going to have to live off my salary until he finds a job, we have to pay for all of it ourselves basically) we decided it might be better to just have a small legal ceremony, wait, save money, and have the real wedding next summer (definitely before the follow up interview so we can prove ourselves to them). Also if we can let people know more in advance, more of his family and friends would be able to make it (not a ton are coming, but hopefully his parents and a couple close friends) That pretty much made my mom freak out and now she is trying to save up money and plan the entire thing within the first three months of his arrival…

What are everyone´s thoughts on having a legal wedding and postponing a bigger one vs. having just one when they get here? Are you getting frustrated having to answer people´s questions and explain the same thing 10 times? Is anyone using a lawyer? I am not planning on one due to the cost but I am keeping it in mind as an option if there are any problems… 

It´s a long and frustrating process, but nothing worth doing is ever easy, right? I like to think it will make our wedding day even more special because it will also mean that we can finally be together without having to think about how many days left before we´re seperated again 🙂 

Post # 16
3314 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

@lara_crseh:    I had 2 weddings.  I love my husbands family (I seriously lucked out in the draw for in-laws!) and they weren’t able to travel to the USA in the 90 day timeframe for us to be able to just have one wedding.  So like you, we just decided to make things easier for everyone and have a civil ceremony when we got here after the visa was approved and then plan an official wedding later in the year when we could have the people most important to us all there to celebrate with us.  

and have the real wedding next summer (definitely before the follow up interview so we can prove ourselves to them).”

Just so you know, once you get to the USA and get married, you need to file the change of status paperwork within 90 days.  We got married on April 16th, filed around May 4th, and had our followup or as I like to think of it, couples interview on around July 15th and then had his temp greencard in hand by late-August.  So you probably won’t have all that much time to save up for a wedding before the follow up interview.  We had our “official” wedding in October a few months after that interview.  🙂

You’ll find that on these boards, women will have vastly different answers to the question of whether they think it’s ok or not.  My experience is that every single one of my friends and family supported us 100%.  We told them upfront that we’d be getting married legally first to satisfy immigration and then 6 months later we’d be having the “official” wedding that we’d be inviting them to.  I loved telling my husband’s and my story to anyone who would listen, so it didn’t bother me to answer the same questions 10x’s.  lol  

I did hire a lawyer for the visa process itself, but then because of the cost and mostly because of the sheer annoyance of dealing with the idiot I hired, we chose to go the rest of the way on our own.  She very nearly caused us some delays, but to be completely fair, she might have helped keep us from making some mistakes as well.  I DO know that once the visa is approved, the rest is pretty easy to do on your own, and ofc at that point, you are together anyway, so delays aren’t really bothersome.

I hated that we had to go through that, but 2 years of marriage has just continued to make me feel more and more blessed that I have my wonderful husband in my life!

The topic ‘***Calling All 2012 K-1 Fancé Visa Brides***’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors