Calling All Doctor Bees! Any Idea What I'm Allergic To?

posted 2 weeks ago in Wellness
Post # 16
Member
221 posts
Helper bee

You’re best off going to an allergist and getting a scratch test done. 

Post # 18
Member
1591 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

npoliver :  That’s not the case for me. I am literally sick nonstop from April to September, and the entire Christmas season (real Christmas trees kill me) – every year, for as long as I can remember. It doesn’t go away, not if your allergy is severe. Your body is literally suffering to make anitbodies against the allergen, but if it’s struggling to do so, then you’ll have symptoms.

ALSO. There is a possibility that your allergy to this obscure grass triggered an allergy to something right in your backyard. This happened to me with cat allergies. I wasn’t allergic to dogs until I was 16, but I was always allergic (manageable, but allergic) to cats. I got a cat, and I love her. The occasional sniffle is fine, but as soon as I got that cat, my dog allergy went off the charts. It had never even registered when I was little.

That’s not very uncommon. 

I agree you should get a scratch test. Don’t have them test for any places you don’t normally go, like Europe or Hawaii. Have them test for everything right in your backyard and see what happens 🙂 

It sucks, but sometimes allergies just manifest themselves. It’s a tricky science still not fully understood. 

Post # 20
Member
55 posts
Worker bee

I’m inclined to blame the terrible recycled air on the airplanes you took to get to Hawaii and Europe. 

Post # 21
Member
186 posts
Blushing bee

As far as I can tell, regardless of what the internet has to say, there are no rules with allergies. You can be exposed to something 300 times and have no reaction and then the 301st time your skin goes crazy. You can be allergic to something since you were a kid and then when you turn 28, suddenly, you aren’t anymore. You can have a sore throat in reaction to an allergen at one point and then it will morph into hives instead. It’s all about enzymes and immune function and shit.

I wish you luck! I know how miserable this can be.

Post # 22
Member
711 posts
Busy bee

I’m suspicous of the laundry soap. Rubbing your face in your pillow at night etc could do it. I would take the advice of a PP and rule it out by switching back to your old stuff. Also have you switched any makeup brands or by chance have eyelash extensions? I developed a slow allergic reaction to my extensions after a year of having them and using the same adhesive. 

Post # 23
Member
3117 posts
Sugar bee

Also, try a neti pot at night and morning to clear out the allergens from your sinuses.

Post # 27
Hostess
8206 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: Dorset, UK

npoliver :  Glad you got an answer, I hope you feel better soon! 

Leave a comment


Find Amazing Vendors