Post # 1
Do you have any advice for us brides who plan on doing our own makeup?
I’ve had my makeup done before on multiple occasions and was not pleased.
My main concern is getting eyeshadow to stay put. I always get that crease no matter what I do!
Product recommendations? I’m not trying to spend an arm and a leg, but willing to splurge on a great mascara or lipstick!
Post # 3
@MichiganGirl24: have you used an eyeshadow primer? My fave is Urban Decay Primer Potion.
Post # 4
As PP said I would definitely recommend a primer of some sort. I know alot of people love the urban decay one but for me that one creases. My recommendation is actually Mac’s prolongwear concealer. It works amazingly as a eyeshadow primer and a concealer-therefore saving you money.
Next,I would look at the quality of your eyeshadow. A better quality eyeshadow is going to last longer and crease less. I love MAC’s eyeshadows. You could get away with buying 3 shadows to create a wedding day look.
I wouldn’t splurge on mascara. There are so many great drugstore brands that I never find mascara is a good place to spend extra money on.
I would splurge on a great foundation though. Having flawless skin is key to a beautiful bridal look. i love Makeup Forever HD for bridal.
Post # 5
UD primer potion is amazing. So are the UD eyeshadows and I love their supercurl mascara. I use UD and MAC eyeshadows on my clients because of the high pigment.
Post # 6
I’m a former makeup artist for Stila and I still do some freelance work for weddings!
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND an eyelid primer. My favorite is MAC’s Paint Pot in Painterly. You can use it as a shadow or primer, but since Painterly is nude without shimmer, I’d use it as a shadow primer.
My absolute favorite mascara is Faux Cils black mascara by YSL. Dior Show is also awesome!
For lip color, I love, love, LOVE MAC’s Pro Longwear Lipcolour. The color lasts forever and you can always reapply the clear gloss throughout the night.
Another thing to keep in mind: Make sure to find a foundation with little or no SPF. SPF contains an ingredient that sometimes causes your face to look white in photos (due to the camera flash). And please, stay away from Bare Minerals’ foundation. It can look really heavy in photos.
Post # 7
I’ve tried one or two before, but I’m sure they were drug store brand. So UD might be a good one for me to try!
Post # 8
Oh, this is a good thread, since I plan on doing my own makeup!
My thing right now is to watch tons of Youtube videos, and once my date gets closer, to buy a brand-new tube of mascara.
Post # 9
I’m not a MUA but I’ve tried a lot of different brands. I like the Urban Decay primer potion but I recently found a cheaper drugstore alternative that works, which is the eye shadow base by NYX. I only wish it didn’t come in a pot because I hate digging my finger into it for sanitary reasons. I like the pigmentation for MAC shadows and have been using them for years. They also have a wide variety a colors.
Post # 10
Following for future reference. keep the tips coming! What about a good liquid liner? Any other must have products or tools?
Post # 11
I’m not a makeup artist, but I love make up and I did my own makeup for my wedding, and my advice is, as PPs said, a good primer, I love urban decay primer potion, and my other advice, is: practice, practice, practice, and when you think you’ve practiced enough, practice some more. I wear makeup every single day, and I didn’t do too different of a look on my wedding day, but I ended up stressing, and I could have done with not stressing so much! Apart from that, good luck and have a good time – it’s your wedding after all!
Post # 12
- Wedding: February 2014 - Silverthorne Town Pavilion
I am just going to follow this for later since I’m doing my own makeup the big day as well!
Post # 13
I’ve heard people use maybelline’s colour tattoo eyeshadows as bases (especially in youtube videos). Never tried it myself though.
Post # 15
My wedding is in 6 days and I’m doing my own. I researched forever to find what I should be splurging on and what doesn’t really matter. The follwing things in Bold are what I had many many recommendations for. I’m using:
- Smashbox primer for all over (got it as a free sample so why not?!)
- Make up forever HD liquid foundation (so so good! I’ll continue to use it after my wedding when I don’t need any SPF)
- Covergirl concealer (been using it for years for my dark circles)
- ELF HD Powder (it is the EXACT same as the MUF stuff but like $3)
- Tarte Amazonian clay bronzer (just got this but I already love it way more than my Rimmel stuff)
- Clinique blush (got it as a free sample and love it)
- Urban Decay Primer potion (just bought this the other day so I can’t vouch for it)
- Clinique eyeshadow (been using it forever, it’s pretty standard)
- Stila waterproof liquid eyeliner (had lots of recommendations for this)
- Then I’ll have eyelash extensions but my favorite mascara of all time is covergirl lash blast (the original one in the orange tube
- Then to finish it all off Urban Decay has this setting spray (“all nighter” I think?) and it makes it so nothing will ruin your makeup! Seriously you can go to sleep and wake up looking like you just put your face on haha!
Post # 16
this thread is so helpful!