- 8 years ago
Hello fellow teacher bees!
I am making it through my first year of teaching, and I will be applying for new positions since I will be moving once I am married.
I have a few questions:
On my resume:
1. Should I try to explain that although I have my probationary certificate, I should (almost definitely WILL) be recommended for Standard certificate? Should I include that I have passed both of my necessary exams there as well? (It does ask this on the application)
2. How much information should I include about former employers of non-teaching related jobs?
3. Do I include a reason for leaving on my current resume?
4. Any other tips for making a stand-out resume?
On the application:
5. I have coached this year, but I would prefer not to next year, should I include this experience in my application, but then clarify in an interview that I am not looking to coach? Or will the school think I am wanting a coaching position if I include that?
6. for this question “List any current licenses, certificates or special training” should I include my G/T training and my CDL and Bus Driver certification.. what about CPR?
7. for this question “List any academic achievements or honors and any articles or books published..” does I survived my first year being extremely overloaded count (j/k)? What about college accomplishments since I recently graduated? I would hate to leave this one blank.
8. The dreaded “personal philosophy of teaching” PLEASE HELP!
I feel that alternative certification largely failed to prepare me for this process of applying and interviewing. I know there are a lot of questions, but any help at all would be greatly appreciated.. just list the number to the question you are answering! Interview tips will be helpful as well!
I though of two more:
9. Also, I think this is a no brainer, but should I tell my principal/assitant principal/superintendent/athletic director all about decision before applying elsewhere?
10. Many applications ask for a reference from my superintendent..but I don’t feel like he really knows me or about my teaching.. should I ask him anyway?