(Closed) Calling budget brides – How did you do your under $8000 wedding?

posted 6 years ago in Money
Post # 31
540 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

tmpierson:  We’re having an under $5k wedding! Mostly by only having about 35 guests (immediate family & close friends only) on a weekday in the winter!! Off-season & off-peak times can really get you great deals with the venue, caterers, photographer, etc.

Post # 32
154 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2017

comrse:  We’re definitely going off peak. 

Post # 33
7682 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

tmpierson:  Sure!  I think that from what I’ve seen at Brookside Garden /Visitors Center would be a great choice for you!  It has an atrium, skylight, stacked stone wall, your choice of caterer and tables & chairs included.  That is awesome! And you look like you’ve chosen this December? -which is off-season.  You’ve got a great start!  I will send you a PM with my email, if you’d like to make communication easier.  

Post # 34
419 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2016 - Muhlhauser Barn

We decided a long time ago that when we got married we wanted to spend more on our honeymoon than we did our wedding day so we have a very strict budget.  I wanted to see how possible it would be for me to turn that budget into something where I could still get everything that I wanted so I went a little crazy on saving money.  Here are my tips!

-Getting married in an off season- November

-picked a venue that supplied table and chairs but no other bells and whistles so I am doing the planning on my own which is fine.

-NO FAVORS…they ALWAYS are dumb, or get left behind and such a waste!!

– Having Breakfast for dinner!!  Our whole dinner is going to cost us $2000 compared to regular dinners that are in the $5000+!

– New to the industry photographer.  We were lucky that our friends that got married last year used them as well so we were able to sample their pictures.  Being that they are new to the business we could pick out the strengths and weaknesses of their photos and prepare for ours!  It was great working with them too so we got to know them better!

-Cut the guest list as much as possible – In My Humble Opinion – who do you REALLY need to invite to your wedding?  Do you HAVE to invite 300 people just to have TONS of ppl at your wedding?  The best weddings I’ve ever been too were on the smaller intimate side.  It was more of like a big party than bumping into tons of strangers on the dance floor, being crowded etc.

-Purchased the $27 for $70 Groupon for Vista Print for my Invitations.  I ended up buying a template off Etsy and then buying this groupon and ordering my invites. I got 100 invites for under $60!  The bare bones options on invites turned out great!  People look at them for a few months until your wedding then they pitch them so why waste so much money on invitations?

-Have the guests RSVP online on your wedding website so you don’t have to buy RSVP cards.  Mywedding.com has a RSVP tool on their wedding websites that you can use and the people that you send invitations to can log on view all of your wedding website stuff and RSVP there.  Go Green!

-We are supplying our own beverages for the wedding.  Our caterer was charging us $844 for our beverages (not including alcohol), coffee, napkins, ice and cups and I calculated it out how much it would cost us to buy our own pop at the store with coupons and such and it came out to be $500.   The tricky part was not the pop to supply but the coffee because we would need to bring a coffee maker and such.  We have a Keurig and we are going to buy different K-cups and set out the Keurig for people to make their coffee in! 

– Printing our own programs at home because why waste so much money on something that just gets left behind? 

– bought my shoes off Amazon for $17.99 – gold flats

-I ditched the idea of a limo.  Since we are getting ready at the venue and doing a first look in a garden close by there was really no need for one.  Saved us about $1000

-Saved money on just buying cases at the liquor store for wine and beer only reception

-This is going to sound SUPER tedious but I saved a TON of money buy getting decorations at Hobby Lobby using their 40% off coupon.  I went in there and if I needed something that wasn’t on sale I would go in and purchase that ONE item and leave.  Come back the next day and buy something I needed that wasn’t on sale with the same 40% off coupon, etc.  Usually their stuff is always on sale but for those pesky items that never go on sale that 40% off is a life saver. I don’t think I have purchased one thing at regular price there yet.  (I have sort of complicated centerpieces so this was SO exciting for me!)

-Using holidays to your advantage with decorations.  Christmas for bright colors and sparkly stuff as well as LIGHTS, Easter/Spring for earthy decorations etc.

-get hand me downs from other brides.  I think I got 3 different brides to give me what they didn’t want after their weddings and it has amazed me so much how I was able to repurpose a TON of stuff that they gave me.  This one bride gave me purple mason jars…purple is my color however mason jars are not really in my theme so I bought gems and hot glued them to the outside, tied a ribbon around the top and now they look totally different and match my theme!  Again, gems @ 2.99/lbs. and I bought each bag for 40% because they never go on sale.

-if you’re buying a lot of the same item off Etsy (for Bridesmaids gifts or something) ask the seller if they offer a bulk discount and what that is.

-skip the chair covers if your venue already provides you with nice looking chairs.  Its will save you big $$$

-Dollar Tree or any other Dollar store will be your friend on some things like glass vases or wine glasses.  Take some time and meander through the store sometime to check them out

-Book Venders ASAP as their prices will go up each year and you can lock in their current rates!

-Not everyone likes them but longer engagements mean more time for you to save money!

-If you can, purchase your wedding bands at the same time. I ended up getting a wrap and his band and since we were buying 3 bands at the same time my jeweler gave us Darling Husband band for free!  Saved $500!

-HAGGLE HAGGLE HAGGLE.  My Darling Husband taught me this, it may seem tacky to some and of course be respectful when you do it but you would be AMAZED at the deals you can get if you just ask people if this is the best price that they can offer. 

-Do a small cake and opt for cupcakes or kitchen cakes…cupcakes are smaller and usually people don’t waste them.  Kitchen cakes are cakes that aren’t necessarily wedding “pretty” but they are cut in the back where no one sees them and they are a lot more inexpensive!

-use WeddingWire Budget tool- the only thing I wanted to splurge on was a Videographer and at the beginning we didn’t’ have the money for it.  After saving in so many different areas I was able to transfer money to that account and it helped me stay within budget but still afford a videographer!

-Get a sky miles credit card.  We did this and put all of our wedding expenses on it and paid it off as we went. We ended up getting enough sky miles to pay for the 1st leg of our trip flying first class from CVG to LAX!  Thousands of dollars of savings!

Post # 35
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2018

Eloping before the party = no ceremony 

no bridesmaids / groomsmen

booking a resturant – majority of budget but chose the lunch food menu on a Sunday when the room isnt used so no minimum

no cake – i dont care about it 

i’m wearing a bridesmaid dress $400

rings – tungsten rose gold plated (my engagement ring is a gorgeous and expensive sparkly 3 karat lavender saphire beauty i dont need a fancy band) – BOTH RINGS $150

no photographer – bought a $200 vintage polaroid – guests can take photos and sign the backs of them

dont have to decorate because the resturant is already fancy 

no dj – plugging our own playlist into the bar’s speakers 

ermmmm thats pretty much it… i’ll be spending about $6500   90% of that on awesome delish food and drinks.

Post # 36
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

Do your research!  It can actually be less money to do it a venue that provides catering/tables than picking a cheaper DIY venue and doing catering/rentals etc seperately. One GREAT venue added an outdoor tent as a free amenity after I had written them off as overbudget. We picked somewhere without a venue fee and priced out vendors for tent and table rentals. 

We’re doing a playlist into speakers instead of a dj. 

I got my dress secondhand, spent under 300$.

My mom’s growing the centerpieces in nice pots she got on sale. Free for me but not that expensive as long as you have green thumb XD

The topic ‘Calling budget brides – How did you do your under $8000 wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors