(Closed) Can I change my name later?

posted 6 years ago in Names
Post # 3
457 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

I know in Texas the social security administration prefers for you to get it done within two years of the date on your marriage lisence. It’s still possible after but it becomes quite a hassle. I’m guessing this is standard across states as ssa is a federal department but I could be wrong. You’ll also want to do your social security card before changing your name on you drivers lisence or any other document. 

Post # 4
2373 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

I’ve been married for four years, I’ve been told to change mine I have to set up a court date.

Post # 5
3626 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’ve never heard of a time limit. Don’t people change their names all the time for whatever reason?

Post # 6
680 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

Yeah I don’t see why it’d be a big deal regardless of when you do it. You might have to go through more hoops the longer you wait (maybe?), after my first divorce.. I didn’t change my name back right away, but when my ex whom I worked with at the time decided to marry the woman he cheated on me with that also worked in our office..it was time to get my name back. I had to get a court order to do so.



Ugh that sounded bad.. “my first divorce”.. I was only married once before! 

Post # 7
287 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I think in california its within 2 years of marriage

Post # 8
3452 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@redheadem:  Not without going to court.  Getting married or divorced or being adopted if are really the only times you can just change your name.  Anything else requires filing a court order, paying the fee and appearing in court to get the ok.

OP, I don’t think there is a time limit.  Maybe some states have laws about it, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter when you do it.  I have heard if it’s a couple of years after, they request a certified copy of the marriage certificate.  The first thing you need to do is change it with social security.  Once you do that, you are good to change it everywhere else (driver’s license, bank accounts, passports, etc).


The topic ‘Can I change my name later?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors