(Closed) Can I have it all for under $2,000?

posted 5 years ago in Money
Post # 3
779 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014 - Catal Restaurant

Where are you located? Chapels are an inexpensive way to have a nice ceremony and you can go with a favorite restaurant that offers a room to large groups or you can have a backyard wedding if you know someone with a nice size yard.

Post # 4
1902 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I guess the main thing is looking into what you can source for free – if you’ve got a family member with a nice backyard, then that makes a great venue, or if you’ve got a friend that can do catering, that could save you a bundle!

If it’s any help, we did a daytime garden wedding with an afternoon tea reception (then a BBQ and pizzas after party for all the dancing). That might be a way to go that would fit in with the vintage theme. Our wedding only cost us about $7000 and we weren’t even trying to do it cheap! We had a local CWA/golf club ladies make all the afternoon tea things – cakes, mini scones with jam and cream, quiches, vol au vents, etc. It was amazing food that was really cheap and easy. We also provided all our own alcohol that we either bought on special at the shops, or in bulk from a local winery, so we managed to save a bit there, and we could probably have saved more if we’d really hunted around for bargains.

I’m sure you’ll be able to manage a great wedding for $2000 – the most important part is ending up married to your amazing fiance anyway! πŸ™‚

Post # 5
1471 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

You can do it with some creativity. Due to issues with the yen, and having to pay for some medical treatment, we have halved our budget from about 7000 to about 3500..

Things we are looking at doing to drop prices:

– Having a friend officiate

– DIY flowers, and flowers only for me and my 2 BMs

– Serving a low key dinner (maybe BBQ?) and a large dessert buffet, because I am able to make cakes etc myself

– Using a historic house as a venue – it’s much cheaper than a traditional wedding venue, and is religiously neutral, as our families are from 2 different families.

Post # 7
634 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Our wedding will consist of 30 people for $2500.  It could be less if we had it at a different venue so that might help give you an idea.

Post # 8
226 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

We are trying to do the same thing. There didn’t seem to be a point in spending so much on one day when it would take us a while to save it. We wanted to start a life together now. We downsized the guest list to around 100 and we are having the ceremony and reception at my FI’s aunt’s home. (They have a beautiful little pond and rolling IN hills in the backround.)They already said they don’t want us wasting money on a caterer so we are heling them come up with a menu for the food. we have two, yes two, officiants both of which are friends that are going to do the job for free. (bottle of scotch, close enough lol) I think we are also using a friend for the DJ, my sister for photography, and my sister and I are also making the cake ourselves. All of this is going to save us a lot. See who you know that are able to help, most people would love to be involved. As for decorations, check orientaltrading.com and even dollar tree for vases for $1 each. I don’t know where you live, but we have a home and garden store called Garden Ridge, cheaper than hobby lobby, and I have found some things there. Also look for things that are not traditional. I purchased a wooden box for $3 I am painting for a ring box instead of getting one of the $25-30 ring pillows. It will look amazing and match our colors. You can totally create a  beautiful, memorable day without going into debt or sacrificing to save for a long period of time. Good luck!

Post # 9
6 posts
Newbee

I think you can!  You just need to use your connections.  My cousin just got married on a $1500 budget, and the dress was included in that budget.  Her wedding was simple, but still pretty.  Get things (decoration, dress, etc.) secondhand for good deals.  There are a lot of ways to cut spending if you take the time to find them πŸ™‚

Post # 10
Hostess
7561 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2013

Can you have it all? Probably not. Can you have the things that are most important to you? Probably.

Pick the 2 or 3 things that are most important and cheap out on the rest. Love the colors and theme! 

Post # 12
208 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Also check a certain popular local classified for wedding decoration lots, you can bargain PLENTY with people & don’t be ashamed to ask for cheaper, offer trades, etc. Shop for things in online auctions & in the wedding bee classifieds. Assign a friend or relative who owns a nice camera to photographer duty, most people don’t mind helping you in anyway that they can, if you just ask them. Enlist the help of family and friends for a potluck. Food, venue, dress & photography are usually the larger ticket items. You’ve got the dress & venue down, so get a handle on your food & photography(search the creative tab in your local classifieds if you don’t want to ask a friend). Don’t give up, it’s going to be special because it will celebrate the love of you and your FH, regardless of how much you have to spend.

Post # 13
4687 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY

@ARBasurto:  You have such a great attitude! Being restricted in your budget can be so tough and you are so positive!

Flowers are so expensive. There are PLENTY of other options for centerpieces other than flowers. Check David’s Bridal, J Crew and even search “white bridesmaids dresses” for inexpensive gowns.

EVERYBODY loves BBQ/ pizza. How fun would that be?!

Keep posting with questions/ concerns πŸ™‚

Post # 14
1478 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013 - Creek club at ion, SC

@ARBasurto:  where are you??

Post # 15
371 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@ARBasurto:  I’m sewing paper hearts together to make paper garland decorations.  I know that doesn’t anwer your question completely but thought I’d throw one low cost idea out πŸ™‚

Post # 16
1491 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@papercrafter:  I love this idea! The paper hearts are so cute!  *steaaaaaliiiing it*

@ARBasurto:   My hometown reception will most likely come in under the $1500 mark.  Here is how:   Fiance and I are holding it at a local park and we’ll be serving bbq, grilled stuff, picnic food, etc, and we will be smoking/bbq-ing/cooking/prepping as much of the food ourselves in the days before.    To cut down on alcohol costs we will be serving beer and boxed wine only.     The pavilion rental is $175 for the whole day, and comes with 2-3 grills.  The park is by a lake and the location has lots of shade and grass, and we’ll be setting up picnic games like croquet, badminton, bocce ball, cornhole toss games, treaure hunt, etc for our guests to play.  A laptop or ipod will supply the music.  I just found awesome candleholders in fun colors at Dollar Tree for $1 each!  And my colorful vases are coming from Goodwill and FMIL’s house.   I’ll also be doing paper pennants on the pavalion and most likely stealing @papercrafter‘s paper heart idea too.   πŸ™‚ Compared to our real wedding and reception, this will be VERY VERY low key.  My actual wedding and reception is costing us over $20k for about 50 guests.   I’m expecting around 75-100 guests over the course of the day for the hometown reception, and think we can do it for around $1,000-1500.  

So I think $2000 is very doable if you keep everything low key and easy going.  You have to be willing to compromise on details and not get bogged down on expecting/demanding perfection. 

The topic ‘Can I have it all for under $2,000?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors