- 6 years ago
- Wedding: September 2013
My fiance and I have talked about me going on BC for over a year. And now that we’re getting married next year, we definitely want to stop using condoms and spermicide (we mutually agree on this).
But I’ve never been on birth control and have never really taken much medication and I’m REALLY nervous.
I’ve done a ton of research and talked to my doctor and friends, but . . .I just can’t make a decision. I’m a worrier and I get really anxious about all of the bad side effects, especially since a girl I went to high school with had a stroke at age 19 because of her birth control pills!!!
I’ve narrowed my choices down to the NuvaRing and the non-hormonal IUD. I even made a pros and cons chart last night . . . and each column had the same total!!!
Here are my concerns, and I’d love it if any of you ladies could share some positive stories to ease my mind and help me decide:
* Stroke, heart attack, and blod clot risk on hormonal BC. I’m not over 35 and I don’t smoke, so I know these are rare but . . . it’s SCARY! I don’t want to deal with a serious medical issue before I get married! (or ever)!
* Weight gain
* Being crazy/having crazy PMS. I deal with anxiety and bad PMS now, and am on anxiety medication that helps, but I’m afraid BC will make me totally psycho. My dr. says that BC actually helps a lot of people with this, but I know there’s a chance I could get worse, emotionally
* low sex drive
* pain of getting an IUD inserted (I’ve gotten a tattoo, but never had any type of medical procedure, so I really don’t know my pain tolerance)
* the IUD side effects — heavy periods, bad cramps, possibilty of it imbedding itself or extracting itself
* cost of the IUD if not covered by my insurance (hasn’t been in the past) and the fact that it’s not easily removed if I don’t like it
I’m confused. I want to do this for me and my fiance. I want us to stop relying on condoms and be able to have a more spontaneous and free spirited sex life. I wish I could just be an adult woman and suck it up but I am so NERVOUS!!!!
PS: my gyno and PCP have both recommended NuvaRing for me.