So true about the last few pounds being absolutely hell to shift! You have all the information to do it, you will just need serious discipline so it depends on how motivated you are.
1. My Fitness Pal – track your calories and be 100% honest about portion size and don’t forget sneaky little treats and snacks. To lose the weight you want in the timeframe and looking at your size, I would say you’ll have to be pretty strict about calorie counting – probably no more than 1250-1300 cals per day and add in extra on the days you exercise (MFP will do that for you).
2. Do efficient workouts – if you realistically don’t have time for a 10k run 3 times a week then find a home workout that you can stick to religiously. And use heavy weights, 10lb weights won’t get you anywhere. Squats, planks, burpees, pistols, pushups, skipping, pullups or ring rows, sprints and box/bench jumps will get you leaner in a short time.
3. Give up all refined carbs and sugars – this is really difficult but it will give results! I promise! No bread, pasta, white potatoes, minimise rice, no baked goods of any kind. If you love cheese, stick to feta or goats cheese. Ditch dairy if possible. Absolutely no breakfast cereals and if you like porridge make sure you eat only steel cut oats, no rolled oats or any of those Nature’s Path type things which promise they are organic and healthy, they’re not!
4. Cut out sugar – if you have a sweet tooth then have a berry smoothie with greek yoghurt or a couple of pieces of dark chocolate.
5. Cut out alcohol – if you can’t cut it out completely then have a clear coloured alcohol (e.g. gin, vodka) with sparkling water/soda water and lime or a small glass of red wine. Absolutely no beer or sugary cocktails.
6. Try to limit eating out – this is my downfall – I can manage easily when I am eating at home and preparing my own meals but it goes out the window when I eat out. Restaurants add SALT to everything and it causes serious bloating. When you eat out be careful about choices – I loved a particular chicken salad from a restaurant here and discovered it had 920 calories :O In the same restaurant a 7oz sirloin steak with asparagas and mashed potatoes was only 660 calories! You are better with a piece of meat, vegetables and sweet potatoes or even white potatoes without sauce than you are with a fancy salad that has a ridiculously fatty dressing included!