(Closed) Can I use my passport with my maiden name?

posted 9 years ago in Names
Post # 3
2271 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Well you can’t even change your name until you get the offical copy of your marriage certificate from the state. It usually takes a week or more for that to happen so don’t worry about it!

Post # 4
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

What name did you make the trip reservations in?  Your maiden or your married name?  As long as your passport matches the name on your tickets/reservations (no matter which one it is), you should have no problem.  They won’t check at the airport to see if you’ve already started the name changing process with your ss card, driver’s license, etc…

If you made the arrangements in your married name, though, you won’t have enough time to change your passport before you go on your honeymoon.  In that case, I would call the airline to see what you can do.  You also might want to get a copy of the marriage license ASAP in that case.

Post # 6
390 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Good news and bad news.  Good news: You’ll be able to use your current passport with your maiden name.  Bad news: You won’t get your name changed before the honeymoon.  Like Bluespurrs said, you’ll need a certified copy of the marriage license before you can change your name.  I got mine about 2 weeks after the wedding. Make sure you have made arrangements to have a certified copy sent to you, otherwise, you’ll have to add time on to the process for your request.  (I requested/paid for a copy when we picked up our marriage license.)  Once you have the certified copy, you can go to Social Security and the License Bureau and change your name; make the passport change the last stop, because they will take the actual certified copy from you (just like they do with your birth certificate when you apply for the first one).  Hope this helps! 

The topic ‘Can I use my passport with my maiden name?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors