(Closed) Can it be done in 1 day?

posted 7 years ago in Names
Post # 3
7695 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Dont even pay the money for that site! Its pretty easy. Go to your social security office first. Bring along your marriage license. They will then give you a piece of paper that has your new name on it. Then you will go over to the DMV/MVA and tell them you need a new license due to name change. You will fill out a new form and then when you go to the counter you will give them the piece of paper from the SS office. Once you have done that your new license will be mailed to you (if thats how your state does it) and so will your new SS card. Once you have your new SS card you can change your bank accounts – which you will most likely have to go into the bank to do. Since mine is a joint account my husband had to sign the form as well. Once you have your new SS card as well you can change your name with your HR department. Any other bills you have like your credit cards, phone, cable, etc you just call them up and tell them you need to change your name.


ETA – I was able to get the SS and DMV done in one day. I just left an hour early from work and went over. Luckily there was no wait at the SS office and the DMV wasnt that bad either. It definitely is possible to get those two things (the most important parts) done in one day but since you have to wait for your SS card for the bank you most likely wont be able to do that in the same day.

Post # 4
2313 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

From what I understand, no, it is not instant and it takes a little while for everything to get switched over. It’s a huge pain in the ass which is why many women socially change their names but officially do not… or wait years to do so. I think it depends on your state whether you should change your license or SS card first, though intuitively, it makes more sense to me to change the SS card and then go on from there.

Post # 7
7695 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

@cosmocity: the 1 copy of the marriage license? Yes, they just need it to they can input information into their system then they give it right back to you

Post # 8
18641 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I think it depends on your state.  Some states won’t change your name with the DMV until it is in the system from the Social Security.

I would also get another copy of the marriage license to hold onto just in case.

The topic ‘Can it be done in 1 day?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors