(Closed) Can this dress be made reception-ready? David's T3299/DressilyMe

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
1736 posts
Bumble bee

I don’t have any advice on the bustle itself – but would you consider (if you can’t bustle) changing into a second dress after you do all the photo opps (like first dance, father-daughter dance, cake cutting, bouquet toss) so you can dance?

Post # 5
3697 posts
Sugar bee

My gown has embroidered-lace-on-tulle over the entire skirt, and the bustle loops are sewn through the tulle onto the underskirt, so that the underskirt bears the weight. I think you would be just fine doing what you describe to create your bustle (and I think it’s kind of silly that DressilyMe doesn’t just do it as part of constructing the dress, but whatever …)

Also, slightly off-topic, but, once you get the quote from them and see what it’s going to cost you: you might also check out Brides Against Breast Cancer, I see that they have a couple of upcoming events in Texas: http://www.bridesagainstbreastcancer.org

They have a lot of pre-owned gowns, but they also get a lot of new gowns donated from bridal shops and designers. I know I saw a bunch of David’s Bridal designs (both pre-owned and new) when I went. They can’t guarantee they’ll have a specific gown in a specific size, of course, and you might have to get something a few sizes too big and be willing to alter it, but it would be worth looking: you just might find your exact DB gown at an awesome discount, and be able to spend the money on a worthy cause into the bargain! Plus the volunteers are awesome, it’s always nice to see and try on the actual gown itself in person and not a sample – and, who knows? You just might surprise yourself and find something absolutely fabulous.

Post # 6
745 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

Your bustle idea should work fine. For my first wedding, my dress was embroidered organza over satin. The horrible dressmaker tried to use hooks and eyes on this weighs-a-ton dress. When I took it home, I did exactly what you mentioned. I ended up doing a three point bustle, sewing the ribbons to the long line bra (it was HEAVY πŸ™‚ I tacked the overlay in the spots where the ribbon was sewn to the satin. It actually worked out really well. There was no obvious visual difference where the overlay didn’t float over the dress (the overlay has a decent amount of weight to it, so it would lay well anyway.

Post # 9
59 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

@UbiCaritas:  Oh my God, we’re dress twins. I honestly understand what it means to drop $700 + for a wedding dress that you’ll only wearing once, because I. just. did.

I’m also wondering how to bustle the dress, because I’m not going to switch into a different one out of convenience! πŸ˜€ You gotta show off that awesome dress for as long as you can.

I wish you the best on your bustling adventure… Lol! πŸ™‚ 

The topic ‘Can this dress be made reception-ready? David's T3299/DressilyMe’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors