Post # 1
Ok, to try and make this short:
We want to get married in November. Yes, 3 months from now. But we haven’t quite finalized a venue (have done research and have good options tho). But we want to tell our families because about half our guests, or more, will need to travel for the wedding.
So, should we:
a) book a venue asap, then tell guests
b) tell guests immediately, then book venue asap
c) give up the dream of having a wedding three months from now
thank you for your time!
Post # 2
A!!! Don’t send them out before booking, you’re setting yourself up for failure! You might not be able to get the venue you love on your chosen date.
Post # 3
i have a friend who is going thru a similar situation. i don’t think you should tell anyone to save a date that you don’t even have officially set yet. a lot of venues/vendors get booked a year or more in advance, so depending on your area, the chances of you getting the date you want on such short notice are pretty slim. but that’s not to say that it can’t happen- i know someone who planned their wedding in just a few months. but i would book the venue first and then tell your guests, this way in case you don’t get the date you want, you don’t have to change things up on your guests and they won’t have to change any travel arrangements they may have already made.
Post # 4
Dont tell anyone a set date until you have the venue, church? And Officiant booked!! Our date changed 3 times for these reasons. I even had to order a second set of save the dates, thankfully I hadn’t sent the first ones out yet! Also you don’t need save the dates of guests are local, send the invites 8-10 weeks out.bif you have a lot of guests who need to fly in, yes it’s probably too late.
Post # 5
A or C!
1. If the date changes, it will be a lot of extra work to fix when you already have such a short engagement. If it’s a really small wedding, it’s manageable, but could still be confusing to guests.
2. It seems like it would bee a waste of money to buy Save-The-Date Cards, only to change the date.
3. Most importantly, you wouldn’t want people to book nonrefundable flights if your venue isn’t locked down. They might be SOL and not be able to attend at all.
Post # 6
juicebar: Nope because the venue may not have the date you want because it’s so close to November. Unless you don’t care what day of the week it’s on and get a weekday it most likely won’t be available. I just would not do it. Book first and send save the dates after.
Post # 7
This sounds like a job for social media. We planned a quickie wedding and it seemed foolish to send Save-The-Date Cards followed by formal invites soon after, but we wanted to let people know. I posted on Facebook “Nov 2 is the day!” as soon as we booked the venue. People got the message.
Post # 8
You need to have all your plans in place before you tell people to save the date. It takes more than the venue being available for a wedding. You need an officiant, a caterer, maybe a photographer and florist, what about a DJ? You don’t have a date until you have the necessary vendors available.
It would be awful for people to start buying airline tickets only to be told you have to move the date.
Post # 9
IMO you don’t have a date till you have a venue. Yes 3 months is enough notice.
Post # 10
Nope, because the venue(s) may not have the date you want or may be booked for the entire November. I got engaged back in April and wanted an October wedding, and I was LUCKY to get the spot I did. Most venues book months to a year in advance. I’d wait until you secured a date. Skipping save the dates sounds good to, you’re so close to November that invites is all you need. Saves you some money.
Post # 11
We are looking to book a venue in March 2016, so about 7 months out. We won’t have the venue locked down until probably next month (Sept), which is 6 months out. As soon as we lock down a date, we’re going to call/text/send emails to the out-of-towners (we also have about 50% who will be traveling) to let them know of the date. Then we’ll send invitations about 8-10 weeks out from the date. I think it’s a little too late for save the dates, but I would give your out of towners a heads up when you lock down the date.
Post # 11
Like other PPs have said… book your venue so you can lock in that date and go from there.
Post # 12
I would start looking at Venues ASAP..b/c of the short notice, and if you’re are flexible, you may be able to get a great deal picking a weeday, Friday, or Sunday..I’d save the money and hassle of Save-The-Date Cards and just start talking to the out-of-town guests personally and inform them you are aiming for November. Best wishes wedding planning! 🙂
Post # 13
3 months is really short unless you’re looking in a region that typically accepts bookings with so little notice. I wouldn’t sent out Save-The-Date Cards until you have booked your venue and finalized contracts with all your major vendors.
Post # 14
juicebar: I sent out Save-The-Date Cards before finalizing a venue. But I already knew the venue was available and was in the final stages of finalizing it, and I didn’t list the location on the STD, only the city. Guests appreciated having the time to plan, but it locked me into that day. Just know that if you send the STD and can’t get the venue you want it’s gonna be pretty stresful. If you’re getting married on a weekday the chances of finding a place are higher.