Post # 15
- Wedding: August 2015 - Red Barn Farm
juicebar: I planned my wedding in 4 months and I’ve been sitting around for months so I think you’re good time-wise. We opted to NOT send the STD’s at all. We just sent the invites the traditional 6-8 weeks beforehand. I think I sent them out at 6 weeks, actually.
But, I would say you could make the STD’s without the venue. All they need right then is a date and time. Otherwise what would be so important about the actual invitiations if you’re giving them all the information on the STD’s? If you want to go that route.
I would say to at least tell them the date and time. Then you could put on there “formal invitation to follow”
I also made a wedding website and when we had all of our decisions done I posted the link up on social media. So it was a way for everyone that wanted to get a sneak peek, they could – and everyone else just waited until the invitiations were mailed out.
Post # 16
I wouldn’t even send out a save the date – finalize your date with the venue, and then send your invites a little early.
Post # 17
I agree with wingthing: I don’t think there is any point in spending the money on Save-The-Date Cards now, especially when you don’t have a date/venue confirmed yet. Maybe mention to out of town guests that you are looking at dates in November, but just book a venue and get the invites out quickly.
Post # 18
juicebar: lol I’m sorry but I’m not sure why this is even a question! Of course book your venue first. Or, at the very least, when you say “researched best options” make sure that research includes confirming availability for the date you want.
If you’re truly ready to pull the trigger and get married in November so much so that you’d be comfortable sending out Save-The-Date Cards, then why not just book one of those venues like NOW and make Save-The-Date Cards your goal for next week? Or better yet, just skip Save-The-Date Cards, save your money, and go right to invitations. The time frame makes more sense for that anyway.
You’ve got a ton of decisions to make and details to work out once you have secured your venue, so in my mind there is no reason at all to wait on that. What’s holding you up from making a decision?
Post # 20
Thanks for all your assistance! we talked last night after posting this and came to the same conclusion as most of you – that we will just super quickly finalize the venue and then let everyone know!
to clarify, when I said we had good research and options, I meant we have three short-listed venues available for that date, and one of them was being held for us. People have been getting antsy about wanting to book etc, so we were thinking we could just tell them, yes that’s the date (we already asked all key people if the date worked before looking for a venue on that date) and then quickly finalize the venue.
Oh also, we aren’t sending out “save the dates” we are just calling to tell people and sending out an email recapping the info. No point doing a save the date with only 3 months to go!
Unfortunately, I have no idea what I’m doing and nor does my partner so I’m sure this won’t be the last “why is this even a question” level of stupid question that I ask!
mangosandcats: yes, this is basically what we were doing, with three acceptable venues I figured we could get one of them for the date!
Post # 21
polyblonde: the hold up was my partner being able to look more closely at our short-listed venues as he’s been traveling a lot for work. The three venues were all acceptable (he knew them well enough to know that) and available and one was holding the date for us though.
Post # 22
mrsdoodlebop: oh good! thank you! we want things pretty simple, so I was hoping we could do it in 3 months!
Post # 23
- Wedding: September 2017 - California
I wouldn’t. My brother had his date “set” and I amlost even booked a flight. The hotel he wanted was available but they have multiple venues there and he wasn’t able to get the one he wanted for the original date so he changed it. Thankfully I am a procrastinator and hadn’t bought tickets yet but I was originally planning to leave on his current wedding date!
Post # 24
- Wedding: September 2017 - California
I think 3 months is enough, I have received save the dates with less notice and it was fine by me!
Post # 25
The hardest thing to lock down for us was the officiant and I was booking them 6+ months in advance. I’d definitely not send Save the Dates yet until all your ducks are in a row 😊