(Closed) Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?

posted 7 years ago in Home
Post # 182
838 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Like above poster from Vancouver said, no way!

We sold our > 600 square foot, one bedroom apartment for $375K. You want a house in this area? You’re going to fork over around 1Mil. :'( My parents bought there house in 2004 for 630K and sold it last year for 1.03 I think. I will never afford a house here >.< 

Post # 183
40 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2013

We actually bought a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom home in a suburban addition that is slightly located out in the country but in a central location of our city that is perfect and convenient to get anywhere.  It was brand new just finished construction.  You can find tons of great houses for that price, granted they won’t be anything huge and fancy.  I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Post # 184
330 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Like @icetea, we currently live in Seattle, so 350K is cheaper for a 3bed, 1bath home. If we moved back to Spokane, we could find a home in a fairly nice neighborhood for under 125k. It’d probably need some work, but would be liveable. If you could find a forclosure, it’d be lots cheaper.

Post # 185
1723 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 1998

I’m in the Midwest. We can easily get a 4-bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1200 – 1500 square foot brick Colonial for under $100k.

Brick starter homes here generally run $40 – $60k. It’s possible to get a 1-bedroom house for $20 – $30k.

The cost of living here is quite low compared to many other parts of the country.

Post # 186
1327 posts
Bumble bee

nope…. old houses start at $300,000 and it goes up from there 🙁

Post # 188
1721 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@Robin_Sparkles:  I used to live in Westfield! Off Springmill and 146th!

Post # 189
854 posts
Busy bee

I’m outside of atlanta (one of the nicest suburbs) with good schools. our house was 126 last year we bought it. 4500 sqft 4br 3ba, gym, 2 kitchens, workshop in the basement, and open floor plain. 

The house was built in 2000 and we love it…great neighborhood too. We added new hardwoods and changed paint colors.

Post # 190
83 posts
Worker bee

My mind is seriously blown by the price to get a decent house. 300k-500k could buy mansions in our area. My Fiance and I have a budget of about 150k when we start looking at houses and our budget is giving us hundreds of homes to choose from!

Post # 191
55 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

Nope.  My 1 bedroom, 1 bath condo cost $280,000 3 years ago.

Post # 192
3623 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I keep checking on this thread, and I can’t believe you can’t buy ANYTHING for $125k or less in these cities! Even in NYC – which I thought was one of the most expensive places to live – I just did a quick search of homes for sale in two NYC counties, and it yielded almost 290 results!

Post # 193
2268 posts
Buzzing bee

I wish!
Not in the States but:
A decent house in Auckland City (New Zealand) is about $600,000 and even then you’ll be sacrificing something.
For our first home, we are looking at buying a house we can renovate for around $400,000, plus the cost of renovations, which shouldn’t be too much (a max of $50,000) as FI-to-be is a builder, so can do most things himself. 
The kind of house we ultimately want – one with a minimum of four bedrooms, 2 or 3 bathrooms, a garden, a garage, within a good school zone, close(ish) to the city and a few more things that are negotiable – will cost us between $800,000 and 1.2 million.

Post # 194
569 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

oh gosh no.. i soo wishhhh tho!

$125k is just a down payment here in the bay area… :(((((

we are saving towards that amount.. so prob wont be able to put a downpayment on a house until 3 years :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Post # 195
346 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I currently live in Jacksonville and you can definitely find a nice 3 bed 2 bath built within the last 10 years and move in ready for that price.  We were looking a little south from jacksonville in the St augustine area and was quoted 150k for a new build to our specs with no down payment and no closing costs for a 3/2. 

Post # 196
433 posts
Helper bee

@gingerbreadgirl:  

Oh yeah you can get a decent small, older home for that price quite easily here.  I live about 10 hours north of Vancouver, BC

The topic ‘Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors